Strange lager fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyfinlay

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just looking for some experience and reassurance with my first lager brew!
All went fine on brew day, hit all my numbers and got into the fermenter.
I am using a PLAATO airlock to monitor my fermentation. The app is not showing any CO2 production.
but….I know I have active fermentation because a sample showed a reduced SG. However,when I drew off my sample from the bottom of the fermenter I got a lot of foam like it was carbonated down there!

is this normal for a lager (bottom fermenting yeast)?!

thanks all!

If brew day was last year sometime, then maybe a problem. :thumbsup:

As long as you've lurked around here you should know we'll want some more details. But welcome for coming out....

If you're fermenting in the low-50's it's not unusual to see more post-fermentation carbonation than a beer fermented in the upper 60's. The colder temperature allows more C02 to stay in solution. In fact, I tend to enjoy a pint or two of left over beer from my fermenter after the keg is full. Is it carbonated? Yes. Fully? No. It's in the neighborhood of cask conditioned ale, so it's quite pleasant.

As for the PLAATO thing, I know nothing about them, but I will hazard to guess that you may have a leak somewhere. Which type of fermenter are you using? If it's a bucket, know that they're notorious for being leaky. I could imagine a leaky lid playing havoc on the PLAATO.

Thanks for the comments so far.
Stainless steel conical fermenter with a tap at the bottom. but I was worried too about an air leak around the bung at the top (just a simple rubber bung with some tubing running to the PLAATO).

The PLAATO airlock basically counts CO2 bubbles coming out the top during fermentation. So that’s why I was a bit confused as I seem to be getting CO2 production at the bottom (e.g. the foam) but no CO2 being pushed out the top of the fermenter.

beer tastes good, no off flavours yet and doesnt taste ‘fizzy’. I’m only 5 days into fermentation so I’m not too worried just yet.

If your beer is fermenting and your not getting co2 out the air lock its leaking somewhere. That co2 has to exit the fv. It doesn't matter if it's a lager . Same as an ale.

That co2 has to exit the fv. It doesn't matter if it's a lager . Same as an ale.

The trick is getting it to not leave all at once. Given my druthers, I'd much prefer to have a leak.

Given that you're on Day 5, depending on your OG and pitch rate/vitality, you should be within spitting distance of your TG. At worst, you're within the last 1/4-1/3 of your attenuation. So things should be slowing down, but you should be getting a fairly steady stream of bubbles.

My guess is that your bung/hose interface is the culprit (my inner fourth grader is absolutely delighted at the phrase "bung/hose interface," thank you for making my day). It looks like the PLAATO is designed to go straight into a stopper. Is there a reason why you've chosen to use a bit of tubing? Do you have a vertical constraint? If so, try a barbed nylon 90 degree elbow out of the stopper, then attach the PLAATO to the nylon elbow. Also, maybe the PLAATO doesn't work on its side?

Latest posts

Back