Strange Lager Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangove

Reaction score
I pitched w34/70 into a straightforward allgrain and flake rice lager recipe. Fermentation took off like normal. After 24 hours there was a normal kreusen and everything smelled right coming out of airlock. Went to check it this morning (48 hours in) kreusen is gone and there is simple continuous bubbles coming up like in an open beer, with nothing staying on the surface. Anyone ever seen this before?
I had split the batch into two, and the other 5 gallons is still fermenting normally with a different yeast( Wy2112) so I don’t think there was anything wrong with the brew.

Attachments

• 251D7625-1F4B-4C35-80C1-3AB03F50DA87.jpeg
    251D7625-1F4B-4C35-80C1-3AB03F50DA87.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 30
I cleaned some equipment in dawn dish soap and that happened to me on 3 - 5 gal batches. Waiting to see if I get any head on them. They all tasted good when racked. Rewashed everything in Alkaline brewery wash and the last 2 batches are back to normal.

Ok. I’ve tasted it. It has that coriander/Clove taste that you would expect in a wheat beer. So I’m thinking there was a some wild yeast/infection that got in there.

Did you use fermcap-S or something similar? I've used it once and either had no krausen or it rose and fell so fast I missed it.

What temp?

I brew mostly lagers. To be honest, they go in the fermentation chamber at 50* and I never even look at them again for 3 weeks. They all turn out fine without me ever peeking and fretting over them. 😉

So you fermented a lager warm and had it finish in two days and don't expect a ton of off-flavors? There is no wild yeast infection or anything out of the ordinary in your fermentation except the temperature you fermented at. If you don't like the result then you should look into temperature management or use an ale yeast at ale temps. You know, there is no shame in that... ;);)

So you fermented a lager warm and had it finish in two days and don't expect a ton of off-flavors? There is no wild yeast infection or anything out of the ordinary in your fermentation except the temperature you fermented at. If you don't like the result then you should look into temperature management or use an ale yeast at ale temps. You know, there is no shame in that... ;);)
It obviously wasn't supposed to go in two days. Warm ferment lager isn't something new, it just appears to be new to you. Your veiled patronizing comments are unwelcome. If you don't have something positive to contribute to the conversation, then please don't comment.

It obviously wasn't supposed to go in two days. Warm ferment lager isn't something new, it just appears to be new to you. Your veiled patronizing comments are unwelcome. If you don't have something positive to contribute to the conversation, then please don't comment.

@Vale71 said nothing personal or attacking and his comments are spot on. You fermented a lager yeast at 67F and got off flavors. You asked about wild infection and his answer that it had nothing to do with a wild infection is, again, spot on. The flavors you describe are phenols, exactly what you would expect from fermenting a lager yeast at 67F.

His comments to you are actually helpful. Your response is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back