Strange flavor on last 4 brews- frustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarponstalker

Reaction score
I'm getting very frustrated with my brewing. I'm no expert. Not even a veteran. I've brewed 7-8 batches. I use biab method for 5 gal.
The last 3-4 brews have had a sour /bitter taste. I can't really describe it. My beer tastes good at first but after a few days the bad taste shows up. It even feels odd while tasting if that is possible.
I'm wondering if I'm rushing it and it's still green.
I don't think I've ever had an infection. I pay very close attention to sanitation and temps. It happened when I bottled beer and now it's after I've started kegging.
I will admit that I don't have a hydrometer to measure gravity. But all my beer has fermented actively for at least 2 weeks then I let it sit for another week after kroisen has fallen. Maybe it's not fully done fermenting but all have been ales and I do think they should be done.

I thought it may be my well water as I have iron in it so I used bottled spring water. No change.

This is a new hobby and SWMBO is starting to get suspicious. My beer is not terrible just has this bad "side taste". I wish I could describe it better. I've looked at all the off flavor charts online but still can't figure it out.

I'm sorry for the long post. I appreciate any input

I don't test ph but the temps are 152-153. I do know my water ph is mid 6's last time it was tested.

How do you control temps? You'd be surprised how much higher the temperature inside the fermenter is during active fermentation. I have a closet that is a constant 67. I used to assume it would be fine with no temp control. After a few meh brews, I added a thermowell and found I was going as high as 78 and the ale yeasts I use were supposed to be between 60-72. I came to realize the importance of temp control and wish I had invested in that before my other brewing toys.

I use a swamp cooler. I keep 5 gal carboy covered with dark T shirt mostly submerged in water. I recirc water bottles frozen.
My last brew I used w34/70 yeast. I kept temp probe taped under a towel to side of carboy. Temps stayed from 52-55F. When I've used Safale S04 I keep temps in mid 60s

I use a swamp cooler. I keep 5 gal carboy covered with dark T shirt mostly submerged in water. I recirc water bottles frozen.
My last brew I used w34/70 yeast. I kept temp probe taped under a towel to side of carboy. Temps stayed from 52-55F. When I've used Safale S04 I keep temps in mid 60s

What sort of bottled water are you using? The first thing I"d suggest is to get water with nothing in it, if you haven't already. Distilled or reverse osmosis water is ideal.

If you're using SO4, keep it at under 65 degrees (62-64 is ideal), and bottle at day 10-14, or once it is clear. You really should have a hydrometer, but SO4 drops out quickly when the beer is done, so it if's done you can bottle it then. No need to let it sit longer, at least for now, in case something is going on and you're picking up an infection or something.

I assume your sanitation is good, but take a look at your process and see if you can find anything that isn't 100% sanitary.

I would concur about temperature of fermentation. I don't have a fermentation chamber, but during the warm season, I ferment in the pump house which stays in the 50's all summer. I have several strategies to combat this problem that all work. The pump house is one of them, though it's inconvenient. Fermenting in the house works much of the year as I keep temps lower than most folks do. I use yeasts that thrive in hotter temps when fermenting in summer. For example I like Belle Saison's funky flavors, and let it run wild. It will develop a strong flavor at high temps that I like. I'm also using Norwegian Kveik in my continuous fermenter, largely because it has a huge temp range, up to 100F. The other strategy that helps is to top crop or otherwise save yeast from batch to batch, and grossly overpitch. Overpitching will reduce the off flavors, which are largely a function of reproduction. Yeasts are like people, and produce odd flavors and odors when breeding ;-)

H.W.

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel like my temps are cool enough. I ferment inside my house and in a dark room. Unless the beer is waaay warmer than the water I have it in, it usually never gets above low to mid 60s. I kept last brew in the 50s. Maybe it's too cool to finish?
After I posted this I saw several similar posts from other members.
I'm starting to think it's patience issue on my part. It's tough for me to wait but I'm sure I'd make better beer.
This last brew looks great. A Blonde.
Again thanks for the help. I'll keep trying. After all that's the fun in this hobby right??

Thanks Brewcat.
I also thought maybe it's something in the recipe but it's been various different ones.
Irish Reds. Amber ales. Blondes.
Even the maltier beers have had the same "sharp" taste.
I do have a problem rushing things when it comes to beer. I'm hoping if I let it sit in the keg at 37F it may settle down some.
The three pieces that are consistant are my 5 gal plastic carboy, aluminum pot and my auto siphon. I always wash and sanitize them but wondering if there's an issue there.

my take is 3 possibilities,
first is the PH of the mash
second is the temp of fermentation

third is that you have an infection, you mentioned it is a taste that develops after a few days

let me ask, have you cleaned and sanitised the dip tubes in your kegs? you have to make sure this is done as they are a tube sealed at one in that keg, easily being missed, or when was the last time you cleaned and sanitized your beer lines?

if either of these had a infection in them it would infect the beers a few days after you put it on tap, such as you discribe

my take is 3 possibilities,
first is the PH of the mash
second is the temp of fermentation

third is that you have an infection, you mentioned it is a taste that develops after a few days

let me ask, have you cleaned and sanitised the dip tubes in your kegs? you have to make sure this is done as they are a tube sealed at one in that keg, easily being missed, or when was the last time you cleaned and sanitized your beer lines?

if either of these had a infection in them it would infect the beers a few days after you put it on tap, such as you discribe

I agree 100% with this guy. Buy your self some cheap ph strips to test your mash ph this has made the biggest difference in the tast of my beers. Seems most batches im adding lactic acid to get the ph to drop.

I would tend to look at what Yopper is saying.. I recently had a couple brews that were just plain bad.. Good recipes and good process.. I noticed that the "Spring Water" I was getting seems to cause my starsan to become very cloudy and having seen this before realize that the water profile had changed for the aping water to a very hard water profile.. Go to distilled or RO water as well as checking your PH.. Your process seems sound so it may be a component of the process and water is the largest part

What temp are you pitching your yeast at? I know from experience that this will cause nasty off flavors. I would look at that before worrying about fermenter temp and/or water quality. I had the same issue, beer was fine 4 days into fermentation then went South. I've been very careful about chilling my last 4 batches and the issue disappeared completely.

I'm getting very frustrated with my brewing. I'm no expert. Not even a veteran. I've brewed 7-8 batches. I use biab method for 5 gal.
The last 3-4 brews have had a sour /bitter taste. I can't really describe it. My beer tastes good at first but after a few days the bad taste shows up. It even feels odd while tasting if that is possible.
I'm wondering if I'm rushing it and it's still green.
I don't think I've ever had an infection. I pay very close attention to sanitation and temps. It happened when I bottled beer and now it's after I've started kegging.
I will admit that I don't have a hydrometer to measure gravity. But all my beer has fermented actively for at least 2 weeks then I let it sit for another week after kroisen has fallen. Maybe it's not fully done fermenting but all have been ales and I do think they should be done.

I thought it may be my well water as I have iron in it so I used bottled spring water. No change.

This is a new hobby and SWMBO is starting to get suspicious. My beer is not terrible just has this bad "side taste". I wish I could describe it better. I've looked at all the off flavor charts online but still can't figure it out.

I'm sorry for the long post. I appreciate any input
Ok. Now I'm really frustrated. I brewed again last month. Tried a new carboy. Used spring water instead of my well water. Everything seemed to be perfect. But not. My beer still has a taste like you have a mouthful of pennies.
Is it possible that the aluminum pots im using could be the problem ? My first 2-3 brews were decent but they're getting worse each time now. My last few brews had 90 minute boil times. Should I buy SS pots?? Thanks again. Some day I'll get this right.

One more thing. I brew and boil in an aluminum pot. Could that be an issue ?

No, unless you are scrubbing it with steel wool and I doubt even then. What sold me is consideing the massive amount of commercial restaurants that use aluminum.

A couple of thoughts from a relatively new brewer here (<75 batches):
--Check your bottling bucket spigot if you use one, or change all plastic
--What is your sanitizer of preference and how used; with Aluminum pot, SS keg, etc?
--Ward Labs can fairly quickly check water sample for fairly cheap, and that would go a long way to alleviating any guessing about water, iron content, etc

Ever since I switched from bottled spring water to distilled and built my water up with bru'n water, my beers have been much much better

Back