Strange Discoloration of Fermenter Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite sure which forum to post this in, but I just bottled a batch of saison and noticed a grey discoloration on the bottom of the bucket when I was cleaning it. I have never seen this before, so I thought I might ask the community if they have any ideas, it doesn't seem to be coming off

20150616_202747.jpg

I use glass, but I've heard of this happening before. My instinct is to throw some oxyclean in and let it sit overnight, maybe a little longer depending how it looks.

Or bleach bomb it and then let it sit under direct sunlight to deodorize.
I have had that happen in buckets before. The color seems to be inside the plastic right? How old is the bucket? Used it a lot? Are you experiencing infections?
Buckets will stain over time. Not to worry. So long as you arent getting infections you should be okay.

Or bleach bomb it and then let it sit under direct sunlight to deodorize.
I have had that happen in buckets before. The color seems to be inside the plastic right? How old is the bucket? Used it a lot? Are you experiencing infections?
Buckets will stain over time. Not to worry. So long as you arent getting infections you should be okay.

No infection, definitely seems in the plastic. It is only at the bottom of the bucket, where the yeast cake was. It just seems odd it's grey not brown like my buckets have turned in the past, I left it in hot oxy and white vinegar over night that seems to have gotten some of it off, but not all of it

Oh, and i'm not sure how old the bucket is, definitely used a lot though. I replace them every so often when they get too stained, or I see a scratch. I would guess this bucket to be less than a year old

did you have any fruit in you beer?

I have had a stain like that from a Raspberry Mead I made
( I only use glass for meads now - fruits will stain plastic )

my 2 cents
S

did you have any fruit in you beer?

I have had a stain like that from a Raspberry Mead I made
( I only use glass for meads now - fruits will stain plastic )

my 2 cents
S

no fruit I'm hoping it will come out with another good soak or 2 in oxy, it's just odd to me that the stain is grey

Same thing suddenly happened to my bucket after my last brew. I think it was more brown than grey though. Perhaps not a coincidence, it was my first saison. Used wlp565 I think?

Back