Straight sugar brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nike123

Reaction score
Hey im just wondering what would the out come be if I simply added yeast, water and enough sugar to get to 12% because a friend wishes me to make him a drink to simply get him hammered.

Would yeast nutrients be required and what other stuff would need to be watched out for. Also what can be used for yeast nutrients.

Also im aware that this would taste awful but hes paying for it and it would be interesting to see what it would do.

Also what can be used for yeast nutrients.

You could use Yeast Nutrient.....

You are right, it will taste horrible. If he wants something terrible to get drunk on that is about 12% alcohol, why not just buy really cheap crappy wine. It will still taste better than 100% sugar "beer." It won't take any time or effort, and the cost won't be much different.

If he wants something terrible to get drunk on that is about 12% alcohol, why not just buy really cheap crappy wine.

The last time I seriously thought about fermenting a straight sugar wash/wort/syrup as opposed to obtaining some really cheap wine, I lacked the requisite gov't issued documents to do so...and couldn't find someone with a valid ID willing to pull for me at the offsale...

However, giving the OP the benefit of the doubt...check out skeeter pee. You can use wine yeast straight up, don't necessarily need slurry from another batch, and it's acceptable to most people's taste.

Hey I completely agree with you guys I warned him it would taste **** and he should just buy some budget vodka/wine but he insists and is paying. Plus it gives me a chance to use my 5l carboy while my european ale is fermenting away.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Home Brew mobile app

I believe I came across something on youtube called a alcohol wash? I believe it's just sugar water that you ferment out and you can flavor with damn near anything. Search around on youtube you may find some info.

AH, I'm sure that he ISN'T paying you, this of course would be against the law unless you have a license to sell, and to be honest, if I'm going to get nabbed for selling alcohol, I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be for making and selling piss water.
Just my humble opinion

a friend wishes me to make him a drink to simply get him hammered.

I can't understand this kind of thinking. I brew because I like to drink good beer and mead. Is it possible your friend needs help?

Quite possibly I really dont understand his motives either. Perhaps someone could recommend a brew with a 12% abv but also with some taste. He did say it was to be un carbonated?

I don't know... for the amount of money that much sugar plus yeast would cost, to get to 12%, he could get a 1.75 liter of 40% vodka that would be at least as tasteless and far more efficient.
I guess you could do it as an experiment, just to see if it could be done...
or you could then distill it, (hypothetically; that's illegal in most places)age for a while, and end up with rum.

Quite possibly I really dont understand his motives either. Perhaps someone could recommend a brew with a 12% abv but also with some taste. He did say it was to be un carbonated?

Go to the store and buy cheap wine. Got a Trader Joe's nearby? Buy some two-buck (now more like four-buck) Chuck.

I did something like this about 12 yrs ago. Turbo yeast from still spirits had just come out and i was obsessed with making a 22% beer. I planned to use all DME but wanted to see how high the yeast would go before dropping the coin on all that DME. So i used table sugar and it went nuts and tasted like some horrible. Well didnt want to waste it so i purified a watermelon and fermented it out.
Still tasted like **** so i jacked it in a chest freezer and kept condensing down from 6g to 2g. The ABV kept getting higher but still tasted like ****. 1 yr in bottles and it turned golden and smoothed out enouh to drink a shot but still was never really good.
Had a club member that used to buy all the rotting fruit from the fruit stands around here in the summer and make fruit wine he would jack in a freezer to get a nice high ABV. Some was good some not so much!
I say if your gonna go through the effort of making him something you should at the least add some peppers or something of a surprise!
Ginger beer?
:eek:

Just google sugar wash, home distillers use them all the time to make a neutral. It will taste horrible undistilled tho. Google skeeter pee and make him that if you want something cheap that tastes good.

It honestly sounds like your friend needs help.

I bought this knockoff brand vodka for a joke one time, and when I was checking out, the lady behind the counter got this sad look on her face. Sensing this, I told her it was a gag gift, and she then confided in me that that was the most popular booze in the whole shop. Don't let your friend be one of these people.

I watched a craigtube video once where he made this liquor kit a fan had sent him. You fermented this clear stuff & added whiskey flavoring from this little bottle at bottling time. Maybe something like that? It's only fermented,not distilled.

Hey im just wondering what would the out come be if I simply added yeast, water and enough sugar to get to 12% because a friend wishes me to make him a drink to simply get him hammered.

Would yeast nutrients be required and what other stuff would need to be watched out for. Also what can be used for yeast nutrients.

Also im aware that this would taste awful but hes paying for it and it would be interesting to see what it would do.

Add a bunch of raisins. And hold your nose while you drink it.

Good luck.

If your friend just wants to get hammered, there are far more delicious and relatively cheap ways to do it.

The turbo juice look nice, im gonna try explain to him that its not going to work how he thinks it is and suggest an alternative. Ill update how it goes!

The turbo juice look nice, im gonna try explain to him that its not going to work how he thinks it is and suggest an alternative. Ill update how it goes!

There used to be three kids who would push my head in the snowbank after school. The "nice" kid in the bunch was the one who told the other guys to only push my head in clean snow, without road gravel or dog-yellowed spots.

That's the kind of "nice" a turbo juice brew will be. Having both had head-in-snowbank and turbo juice with "rum" flavouring experiences, FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back