Straight A was not rinsed off....what now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBrob

Reaction score
My brother made his first batch yesterday. BUT he bought Straight A to clean and sanitize with. I was at work while he did batch and found this out today. HE soaked and scrubbed good but did not rinse the primary bucket after soaking with straight A. When I stopped by today to make sure he was good I noticed the cleaner sitting there and asked how it was used and what did he use for sanitizing. That stuff. He said the guy at the store told him to use ...that stuff. I did not have the heart to shoot him in the foot; he has help me brew before and heck he has my stuff now. But the not rinsing has got to leave a real bad taste. Can we move this to another bucket right away or is it to late. The beer is a pale ale ( 6lb. DME & 1lb.crystal 20) in the primary now for around 24 hrs. and the yeast (s-04) was pitched with a starter so its very active. My thought was oxy clean will kill this beer. I also think I should just wait it out and see how it tastes when it hits FG ( one of my hydrometers too) before declaring it shot. Has anyone done this and made good beer? Any thoughts are good advice. Ya I know ..... send it to me for testing! Thanks in advance. Cheers:(

After reading their faq here it looks like it might be ok but the acidity might be thrown off balance.

Oxygen based cleaners leave a film behind. How much of that will effect the beer will be the question. Moving it to a new bucket will not make any difference.
See how it tastes and make your brother drink the first couple bottles and report back.

If you want to err on the side of safety you can dump the batch and call it a learning experience.

Yes, I read the fact sheet & it is bio friendly, but I would not drink it. I looked through the Carlson web site along with others for F&Q along with various forums to get opinions before posting. I also see where it is compared to one step and actually said to sanitize &no rinse required; this is on a couple homebrew supply sites. I was more concerned with an after taste, which I know will be there, and how bad it may be. Moving it to another bucket will not change what has already happen I agree. My thought on that was not said properly. what I can do is wait a week , tell him about a secondary, and we will dry hop with an oz. of cascade..... maybe fool him a little. We shall see, and he will drink more than a few, he really likes his beer. Yup tack one up to learning, he is lucky because I will have most of the answers or a fix that may work, and when I need an answer I ask. Thank aye . Cheers;)

It could turn out just fine. I don't think you can say for certain that it will have an off flavor or after taste. Things like these sometimes just work themselves out. I would mention it to him that it's not an optimal method, but otherwise let it ferment out and let your taste buds do the talking vs. prematurely declaring it bad.

Yup thats the plan for now . I did not even let him know he screwed up. He has help me brew before this , going it alone he did say theres alot more to it. I have always done the sanitizing myself and let him stir ,mash or sparge and help clean up after. He understands the process, but is just getting started. I would normally use just a primary myself ,but going to a secondary & dry hop I will get a better idea of how it will turn out and explain it to him later..... after a few beers. thanks for your opinion.Cheers;)

OOOOOO dont say stumble...he has been known to break body parts when he does. Ingredient naa. Cheers;)

Back