Stout w/ Smoked Maple Syrup - Smoke Flavor Too Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I brewed a stout w/ smoked maple syrup last weekend. Tasted it last night and the smoke flavor is way too strong right now. I used 2 quarts of smoked maple syrup in a 3.5 gallon batch.

I know smoked maple syrup is an uncommon ingredient. But does anyone have experience with beers w/ smoked malt. Does the smoke flavor fade in a couple months?

• I can do nothing and wait a couple months if the consensus is the smoke flavor will fade.
  • I can brew a similar mini batch this weekend w/o the smoked maple syrup and blend it in the fermenter.
  • Or I can wait a month, taste and do nothing or brew a mini batch then and blend it...

I've used the Cherrywood Smoked malt(Briess, I think) multiple times. Usually in the 4-6oz. range for a 5G batch. The smokey phenols do fade, and fairly quickly too- within 4-6 weeks after bottling.
If indeed you are tasting after just a couple days in the fermenter, then RDWHAHB.

So ~15% of your beer is maple syrup? That seems high to me.

After searching around it seems that 12oz is a popular number. This may not directly answer your question, but its where I would start if I wanted to add maple syrup in my beer.

The smoke flavor is starting to mellow out, but I can tell it will still be way to prominent. I'm going to brew a couple gallon batch w/ non-smoked maple syrup and blend the two batches together. I'd rather have 5 gallons of a great beer, than 3 gallons of an ok beer. :mug:

So ~15% of your beer is maple syrup? That seems high to me.

After searching around it seems that 12oz is a popular number. This may not directly answer your question, but its where I would start if I wanted to add maple syrup in my beer.

From my research and experience it is the right amount. There is a great basic brewing radio show on brewing w/ maple from a couple months ago that actually recommends 1 gallon maple per 5 gallon batch. It is all about recipe formulation. I mash higher and use oats and wheat to help counteract the body-thinning maple tends to do.

My buddy makes smoked maple syrup - http://www.sugarbobsfinestkind.com/

I will say that it can be difficult to brew with given that the batches can have differing levels of smoke. That being said, I agree that 15% is way too much. I would have thought for a 5 gallon batch you would want to have 1 - 1 1/2 pints.

I think your best bet is to blend another batch in at this point.

I will say that it can be difficult to brew with given that the batches can have differing levels of smoke. That being said, I agree that 15% is way too much. I would have thought for a 5 gallon batch you would want to have 1 - 1 1/2 pints.

That is where I bought my smoked maple syrup. It was way more smokey than I expected. Potent stuff. I agree, 15% of smoked maple syrup is way too much. Lesson learned. If it was non-smoked, it would be about right.

No problem though, I'll brew and blend.

Yeah, I have heard 12-15 oz of maple syrup in 5 gallons. However, I have heard just as many complaints that there isn't enough maple flavor. Maybe try to find a maple extract?

Kuddos on experimenting though.

I have brewed with Weyermann and Bestmalz smoked malt and can add my 2 cents that it definitely mellows with age. It also integrates better with malt flavours over time. But, hey, if you don't want to wait 4 months your blending idea is right on I'd say. 15% may seem like a lot, but a great deal of 20th century british beers were using that quantity of invert syrup, so I'm sure it could work.

You can tell your buddy the beer took gold in the smoked beer category at a large homebrew competition.

I did end up rebrewing w/ plain maple syrup and blended the two batches. Scored a 43. :rockin:

Back