stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild-flower

Reaction score
here is a stout recipe that I am working on and would like some feed back.

2.5 gal

5# 2row
2# caramel 120L
.5# oat malt
.5# honey malt
1# flacked oats

golding 1oz 60 min
.5oz 30 min

wlp 004

I am looking to get the rasin\prune flavors from the caramel 120

I ran it through Tastybrew, and assuming 65% brewhouse efficiency, got OG 1083, FG 1021, IBU 48, SRM 37.

You have an acre of Crystal 120L in there - 20+% of your grist. I don't think of it as raisiny, but rather intensely caramel. I tend to regard Special B as a source of raisin flavor. And that is a ton of honey malt. It looks to be very sweet. What are you hoping to gain by having both malted and flaked oats? Flaked oats will give you that slick mouthfeel of a good oatmeal stout.

If the goal is a strong oatmeal stout, with noticeable raisin flavor and some roastedness, you might try something along these line:

7.5 lbs. Two row pale
6 oz. C120L
4 oz. Special B
4 oz. Honey malt
2 oz. Chocolate malt
8 oz. Flaked oats
1 oz. Goldings 60 minute boil
0.5 oz. Goldings FWH

OG 1084, FG 1021, IBU 45, SRM 26.

Have you thought of substituting Maris Otter for the 2 row? Also you might want to think about steeping the chocolate malt and any roasted malts you may or may not add for the last 30 minutes of the mash. sptaylors suggestions are pretty solid.

Thanks for the input, here is what I am going to work with.

7# 2 row
6oz c120
6oz special B
4oz chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats
60 min 1oz golding
10 min .5oz golding
wlp 004

OG 1.082, FG 1.023, IBU 37, ABV 7.7%, color at 32*L

With only 4oz chocolate malt, and no roasted barley or black patent, it looks to me like more of an imperial mild than a stout. If you want a beer that's thick, chewy and sweet, but with little noticeable roastiness, you're on the right track. But I wouldn't call it a stout.

With only 4oz chocolate malt, and no roasted barley or black patent, it looks to me like more of an imperial mild than a stout. If you want a beer that's thick, chewy and sweet, but with little noticeable roastiness, you're on the right track. But I wouldn't call it a stout.

I agree it's not a stout, or a porter. It's mostly an English brown, with a too-high OG and IBUs. Call it an "Imperial Brown"?

so what shuold I add to beef it up?

"Beef it up"? It's already high in alcohol. If I wanted to make a stout, I'd remove some of the grains to lower the ABV (unless you want a big honkin' stout) and add roasted barley. Roasted barley is THE grain that is imperative if you're making a stout. You can get by with something like black patent or black malt (which has more of a "coffee" roastiness to it) but without any roasted grains it isn't a stout. The defining quality of a stout is roastiness.

Lets try this again.

4.5# 2 row
6oz roasted barley
6zo c120
4oz special b
8oz flaked oats
2oz chocolate malt
60 min 1oz golding
10 min .5oz golding
wlp004

OG 1.067 FG 1.019 IBU 41 ABV 6.2%

Latest posts