Stout + 4 lbs berries in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisJPassarelli

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm about to brew a 1.086 stout, and I want to add some berries. I was thinking of putting a 4 lb bag of frozen mixed ones (raspberries, blackberries, etc) in when I rack it to secondary.
Any idea how the yeast will respond? Will they tear through that and add a bunch more alcohol to the final product? Since I'll likely be aging it for a good while, what kind of impact could that ultimately have?

Cheers.

Maybe I should clarify -- basically, are these fermentable sugars for the most part, or will it instead manifest as additional sweetness and body?

There are some fermentables in the berries, and the yeast will consume them, but it's not going to boost your alcohol a great deal. Off the top of my head with 4lbs your probably adding 1% or less to your abv. I generally let my primary hit final gravity, allow it to clear, then siphon to secondary with the berries. I don't like to leave it on the berries for more than 2 weeks or you risk extracting undesirable flavors form the seeds and pulp (tannins and vegetal flavors). That's been my experience, hope that helps. Dave

Back