Story of a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolznrofls

Reaction score
So here I am.Sitting in my computer room thinking to myself "self...paying 10.80 us dollars for a 6 pack of strongbow is starting to get expensive... (the light bulb moment) enter the infamous youtube. And we start watching all things related to hard cider..then a homebrew makes a video (in my case the dudes names was Craig) introduced me to the world of homebrew..and let me tell you what a trip its been..I just want to shout out a big thank you to all those people chiming in to give a man a hand making the best homebrew he can..all smart he recipe contributors. ..all the regular bloggers (toppers I see you all over the place) and anyone asking for advice I may need in the future..thanks..you guys are all awsome.lets brew some great stuff!

Haha, I was getting annoyed with the 13.99 woodchuck... and the fact that you can't have a true dry hard cider in America.

Time for the next experiment! Two one gallon batches in good old Carlo Rossi gallon jugs..Motts for now till apple season..one cup of clover honey...Red Star Pasture Champaign yeast..tsp nutrient...tsp energiser..let it rip.
After it ferment dry I am going to rack one gallon and clear in the secondary the other im just going to let sit in the primary to clear..and just see if there is any difference in taste or clarity for a small batch..

After it ferment dry I am going to rack one gallon and clear in the secondary the other im just going to let sit in the primary to clear..and just see if there is any difference in taste or clarity for a small batch..

For the one you let sit in primary: as soon as you rack it (leave the yeast slurry at the bottom of the jug), fill the jug back up with new juice and some sugar. You can reuse your yeast at least 3-4 times before it starts to mutate and produce off flavors. And it saves money. No need to clean the jug or anything, just fill it straight back up and airlock it.

For the one you let sit in primary: as soon as you rack it (leave the yeast slurry at the bottom of the jug), fill the jug back up with new juice and some sugar. You can reuse your yeast at least 3-4 times before it starts to mutate and produce off flavors. And it saves money. No need to clean the jug or anything, just fill it straight back up and airlock it.

Thats a great tip..i will most deffinatley try that

Finally got a finished product..and I would have to say im very pleased with my results..the only noticeable difference is in clarity. The gallon racked to secondary is very clear..the one left in the primary has a slight haze to it but still is really nice..I wish I didnt break my phones camera..need to find another way to upload a photo.

Back