Storing Sanitized Bottles... Outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently storing at least 6 cases of empties in the house, probably more. It can't continue. They're everywhere. Time to move outdoors.

They're already de-labeled. I have a very thorough wash and sanitize routine down pat. And I've just assembled 7 wooden crates to store them in.

Is there any reason I can't wash thoroughly, rinse, then submerge into Star San, pour it off, and cap it while it's still wet for outdoor, sanitized storage?

You can do whatever you want, but I'd re-sanitize them on brew day. Starsan and iodophor are no rinse WET CONTACT sanitizers. That means when they are wet, the kill whats on the surface, and then kill anything that lands on the surface while the sanitizer is still wet. If you let it dry, anything landing on the surface pretty much renders it un sanitized. That's why we say you should always sanitize fresh.

I said I'd cap them wet. Nothing in, nothing out. That leaves a small amount of StarSan at the bottom. I wouldn't be hanging them on a bottle tree to let them dry.

Or are you referring to the outside of the bottle? I wouldn't mind giving them a dunk on bottling day. I just don't want to have to do the whole washing routine because I go a little crazy with it (bottle brush in a power drill, then a bottle blaster on full hot) and it takes a little while.

I said I'd cap them wet. Nothing in, nothing out. That leaves a small amount of StarSan at the bottom. I wouldn't be hanging them on a bottle tree to let them dry.

Or are you referring to the outside of the bottle? I wouldn't mind giving them a dunk on bottling day. I just don't want to have to do the whole washing routine because I go a little crazy with it (bottle brush in a power drill, then a bottle blaster on full hot) and it takes a little while.

I always just clean them before storing. Then when its time to bottle a quick rinse with starsan and then bottle. Never had a problem.
I don't get the overkill on sanitizing. Baking, then washing, then sanitizing, then baking again blah blah blah.

I'm currently storing at least 6 cases of empties in the house, probably more. It can't continue. They're everywhere. Time to move outdoors.

They're already de-labeled. I have a very thorough wash and sanitize routine down pat. And I've just assembled 7 wooden crates to store them in.

Is there any reason I can't wash thoroughly, rinse, then submerge into Star San, pour it off, and cap it while it's still wet for outdoor, sanitized storage?

I do this and just use foil...leaving about 1/8" of StarSan in the bottle.

Awesome info. Thanks for the replies so far, all. Might have to pick up some rubber bands.

Caps are like 3c each at quantity, so they're still my first choice, but maybe trying the foil a few times will change my mind.

Capping the bottles for storage sounds like a bunch of wasted effort to me, but it should work fine. But really I'm with everyone else, just dunk them in star san before bottling. I store clean bottles in my damp, moldy basement and have never had a problem. A quick rinse if they're dusty, a star san dunk, and I'm good to go on bottling day.

Capping the bottles for storage sounds like a bunch of wasted effort to me, but it should work fine. But really I'm with everyone else, just dunk them in star san before bottling. I store clean bottles in my damp, moldy basement and have never had a problem. A quick rinse if they're dusty, a star san dunk, and I'm good to go on bottling day.

Storage will be under/near my miter saw, table saw, and router table. The wife smokes on the back porch. We live in the Central Valley, so when the rice patties and orchards get tilled up and turned over, even miles away, a fine layer of dust covers everything. Trying to keep all of that out of the bottles.

I always found capping relatively quick and easy. Kinda fun too, actually. :ban:

Why not just put them in a big tupperware type bin. If you really wanted to you could seal the bin with duct tape.

Tupperware tends to not last long outdoors in our 100 degree summers.

Starts to deform, bulge and sag when stacked or gets real hot. Once that happens, the lid fails to seal.

I rinse my used bottles, cover the opening with aluminum foil after they dry, then store them in my shed, on bottling day I clean and sanitize said bottles, I've not yet had an issue with contamination.

I do the same thing. About a month ago I tried a stout I had made last year that I found in a box in my office. After a year of warm storage it was a bit old, but no contamination.

Latest posts

Back