Storing Keezer on it's back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
I've been out of the homebrew game for a while, sidetracked with life. I've been using my 5CU GE for years just as a beer fridge but now need to store it or sell (NOOOO) it. The only place I have to store it is an elevated crawl space that will only allow for me to put it on it's back. I've done a lot of looking around and I'm not sure this is an acceptable method. Seems as though oil may go into the lines and then not be able to return when I tip it back. Just thought I'd check back in here to see if anyone has thoughts on this. When I take it back out at some point I'd be able to let it sit for as long as necessary.

:mug:

You can store it that way, but before plugging it back in and running it, let it sit normally for 24 hours to let the oil run back into the compressor.

Thanks for the quick reply! I also just realized I maybe should have posted this in the DIY Keezer section...

I usually wait an hour when moving refrigerators in the back of my truck if I lay them flat, but if it's stored on it's back, I would wait 24 hours to be sure.

When you restart it, bump start (quick on and off) it a couple times...wait about 10-15 minutes between each bump.

Konadog is spot on. It doesn't hurt anything for the oil to drain out of the compressor. It only hurts if you don't give it time to drain out of the lines back down to where it belongs. Sinc you're storing it rather than just moving it I'd let it drain for several days when I got ready to use it again.

I worked for several TV/Appliance shops(I repaired electronics). We used to run to the warehouse in an old F-350 with a stake bed to pick up appliances. We often laid fridges and freezers down to get the most on the load... 24-48 hours before plugging them in.

Back