Storing in kegerator after slow force carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhaa

Reaction score
I'm venturing into kegging in a 5 gal corny this weekend. I have a kegerator that I'll be storing it in. My question is, after around two weeks of slow carbonation at around 12psi, how do you assure that it doesn't over carbonate? You have to keep operating pressure for it to pour from the tap. Right? Help me understand this a bit better. Thanks.

You should become familiar with the carbonation charts, like this one:
Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

Choose the volumes of CO2 you want. Find the row on the chart that matches your keezer's average temperature. Find the column in that row that has the volumes of CO2 you had decided on. The PSI you need for "slow" (i.e. set and forget) force carbonation will be at the top of that column. That's the pressure at which you'll carbonate. After your beer is fully carbonated to your selected level, you can leave (and serve) the beer at that temperature and pressure forever. It will never carbonate above that level as long as the temperature and pressure aren't changed.

Back