Storing hops and grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody s

Reaction score
I am currently thinking of switching from my vacuum sealer for storage and going to mason jars.
I would store my specialty grain in my cellar between 50 and 70 degrees and freeze my hops.
Does anyone do this and can I store them for up to a year this way?

All my hops go in the freezer. I would even venture to guess 90% of us on here throw them in there, as well.

As far as grain storage, look into large plastic buckets. I've got 6 of them, 3 large and 3 small. The large ones are big enough to fit 12.5kg of grain and the small ones fit about 5kgs tops. Lids are air-tight. I tend to buy my base malt once per year. Your hardware store should have them farily cheap.

Vacuum sealer for hops in the freezer. Just keep your grains dry and away from moisture.

If you are storing your hops in mason jars, still use a vacuum sealer. Or go back to the bags. Air is not your friend. Store in the freezer. For grains I use lock and lock type food storage containers, and buckets with Gamma Lids. Sealed tight they stay fresh.

If
I am currently thinking of switching from my vacuum sealer for storage and going to mason jars.
I would store my specialty grain in my cellar between 50 and 70 degrees and freeze my hops.
Does anyone do this and can I store them for up to a year this way?

My vacuum sealer has a hose attachment to facilitate sealing different containers. I use an adapter to seal my hops in Mason Jars using the standard sealing lids. The adapter was about $10. The biggest thing for hop storage is temperature, but removing as much oxygen as possible will reduce degradation too.

Back