Storing grain in Homer buckets with gamma seal lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I've been looking at different ways to store unmilled grain and the gamma seal lids look like the way to go. However, I don't really care for the prices on the 40lb or 60lb pet food storage containers since I can pick up a Homer bucket at HD for $2.78. The lids are $12.99 each so this is a lot cheaper, even considering that I can only fit roughly half a sack into one bucket.

I guess my only concern is, are there any drawbacks to storing unmilled grain in a non-food-grade plastic bucket?

I got a bunch of food grade buckets from a local bakery for free and the gamma lids snap right on. Just gotta clean out the frosting residue. Then you don't have to worry about it and they're free. But I believe the food grade vs non-food grade would only really come into play if there was heat or something acidic involved, but I have no evidence to back that up so take it with a grain of salt. I think Home Depot also offers a white bucket (in the paint department if memory serves) that I've read is food grade.

Lowes has white food grade 5gal buckets. I have a homer with a gamma that I store separately bagged specialty grains in. I don't think its a big deal but basically its your call.

I found a great deal online.

Sam's club sells a 10-pack of 6 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seal lids for $118 + free shipping.

If you're not a member they tack on 10% at checkout. Since the lids are $12 each on Amazon prime this is too good of a deal to pass up.

LovesIPA said:
I found a great deal online.

Sam's club sells a 10-pack of 6 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seal lids for $118 + free shipping.

If you're not a member they tack on 10% at checkout. Since the lids are $12 each on Amazon prime this is too good of a deal to pass up.

That's an awesome deal! I bought some gamma lids for $7 each at Home Depot and then the food safe buckets for $4 each at Lowes.

Gamma lids are about $6 if you buy a dozen.
I've been using gamma lids and Homer buckets for years to store grain....never noticed any issue with it being non food grade material.

I get my buckets from a local dairy. They held coffee syrup, chocolate etc. $1.50 each.

Don't pay $12.99 for a Gamma lid. They are $6.97 at Home Depot.

Homer buckets are made by Leaktite and I found a quote on a Survivalist site quoting them that they are NOT food safe.

Menards? Whazzat?

LovesIPA,
Home Depot has food grade buckets if you care right next to the orange ones. They are $1 more. I wouldn't be concerned with using the orange buckets. Winco sells gammas, buckets which I think are the taller 6 or 7 gallon but don't quote me, water containers, etc. They're in the bulk food area.

Home Depot white buckets are now food safe. The last ones I bought there recently had "Food Safe" right on the label. Winco also carries food grade buckets and gamma lids. I haven't compared them on price yet.

Think I read that the "2" in the triangle represents the grade of plastic and it's food safe.
Been using the white buckets with the gamma lids to store grain for past year or so, no problems.

Think I read that the "2" in the triangle represents the grade of plastic and it's food safe.
Been using the white buckets with the gamma lids to store grain for past year or so, no problems.

#2 is HDPE it can be food safe, but it depends on what is used to color it, if it's colored. the dye may not be. I think that is why folks are always asking about the Homer buckets.

I Have used the homer buckets to store grain, but I lined it with the glad extra large storage bags. Same material as the food baggies and sealed right up then I just used the homer lid on top. But got tired of using two buckets, so then bought the vitals vaults and that has been fantastic.

I Have used the homer buckets to store grain, but I lined it with the glad extra large storage bags. Same material as the food baggies and sealed right up then I just used the homer lid on top. But got tired of using two buckets, so then bought the vitals vaults and that has been fantastic.

Yep, I love the Vitals Vaults and I love that they're stackable and I can get into them even when stacked. If you are REAL careful you can fit a full 50lb grain sack into one.

As others have stated although the gamma seal tech can be air tight, the versions that connect to plastic buckets are NOT air tight as the connection to the bucket isn't airtight (or water tight for that matter).

Rats can chew through plastic and I'd rather that they can't smell the grain at all to know that it's there.

We've all wasted far less money on dumb home brewing gadgets than the cost of a vitals vault. (Stupid autosiphons with their teeny tiny parts and propensity to shatter if they come in contact with anything remotely hot!)

Adam

Latest posts

Back