Storing extra Wyeast from smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoggBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing in one gallon batches and picked up Wyeasts' 2112 lager strain for a couple California Common recipes. One of the number of misfortunes I've met with brewing one gallon batches is the amount of yeast I have to purchase (my local shops carry only five gallon quantities) and this is the first time I've pitched with a liquid strain.

So, after I split up the yeast to a proper amount I need for tonight's batch, how can I safely store the rest of what's in the packet? I'll be brewing with it again in a week.

**also

Once I go to use it again, is there a certain method to waking the yeast back up properly before pitching it? Or can it go straight out of the fridge and into the wort?

I'm guessing but I would think following the yeast washing storage would be the way to go....

don't bother washing that yeast, if it is fresh out of commercial packaging it will be nice and clean. i suggest you take some kind of mason jar, boil it and its lid for 10 minutes, take it out and allow to cool/dry, then pour the yeast into that jar and make sure the lid is tight. store in the refrigerator for up to a few months. to use it again, just warm it up to room temp and pitch like you would have out of the original packaging. i try to be as sanitary as possible around unused yeast.

Is yeast washing absolutely necessary? This is the unused yeast I'm talking about- it would be going straight from the packet into a sanitized container and into the fridge. Essentially just giving it a new home after opening the package and using some of it.

Back