storing empty kegs un-refrigerated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Is it ok to store my empty (tapped out) CO2 charged corny kegs outside my kegorator in my garage until im ready to clean and keg again? Or should i depressurize and clean for storage and re-sanitize prior to kegging? I just didnt want to do it twice. my garage is insulated but its been 90F so probably 80F in my garage. Imgoing to use my kegorator as a ferm chamber since my ferm chamber is full with another batch!

Likewise I tend to wash & sanitise when 2, 3, or 4 kegs are empty or I desperately need a clean keg.
I have noticed that after prolonged storage uncleaned, the cleaning process is a bit longer & removing some precipitated material can require more effort.
I use caustic cleaner available locally, at above the recommended concentration with hot water & shuffle between kegs, shaking vigorously, until temp is at room temp. Then I store the cleaning solution for 24 hours in each keg in turn, first storing right way up then wrong way up. This takes a bit of time over several days but it works & you can then rinse & sanitise as usual.
I do not use chlorinated cleaners, bleach etc.
I'd love to hear of any cleaner that takes the work out of this chore.

I use Oxy and Red Devil TSP/90 in a 4:1 ratio. I use really hot water and soak for 24 hours. I never scrub.

It eats anything organic. It's amazing. I'm pretty sure if my cat fell in a vat of this there'd be nothing left of him in a few days.:D

I use Oxy and Red Devil TSP/90 in a 4:1 ratio. I use really hot water and soak for 24 hours. I never scrub.

It eats anything organic. It's amazing. I'm pretty sure if my cat fell in a vat of this there'd be nothing left of him in a few days.:D

Haha. Ive made the mistake of using oxi clean and cold water. I just use standard oxi from costco hope thats ok.

What's wrong with using cold water with oxi? Only asking cuz I'm a newbie to kegs and thats how I cleaned mine! Kinda worried now.

What's wrong with using cold water with oxi? Only asking cuz I'm a newbie to kegs and thats how I cleaned mine! Kinda worried now.

it doesn't dissolve the oxi unless it's above a certain temp, and I had little bits in my keg that were really tough to rinse out and made me think they may still be in the kegs I filled. but, it didn't kill me

Back