Storing Brew Water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireManDan

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I just got a screaming deal on a brand new 100 gallon vertical water storage tank. My thoughts are to set it up in my garage to fill and store carbon filtered water for brew day. My dilemma is that I will not go through 100 gallons on a typical brew day as the most I'd be brewing would be 10 gallon batches. I am going to hook up a two-canister whole house cartridge filter with a GAC filter and a Block filter with a restricted flow to allow more residency time over the carbon to rid the water of chlorine and chloromines. At this point with out having my water tested, the annual city report shows that my water is pretty decent other than the chlorines and the sodium. How practical is it to store this water without worries of contaminants i.e. Mold, algae? I have searched threads but almost all of them were in regards to storing R.O. water and not a simple carbon filtered water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best practice would be to wash and sanitize the tank on a regular, frequent basis. Given this and how fast you can produce water from the filter system the tank may be more trouble than its worth.

Another question is does increased residency actually improve chlorine/chloromine removal? If it does, by how much (i.e. are you chasing that last 0.0001%?) Common sense may dictate that it should improve, but science may not.

The plan is to produce about 2 gallons of filtered water an hour. We will most likely also pull water from this vessel for drinking. I honestly don't know the exact numbers on the chlorine reduction but I'd bet that there is still a considerable amount of it left if one was to run water through a filter at a normal household PSI, perhaps not enough to be detectable by someone drinking it but maybe enough to effect beer production? Once again I have not messed with filtering my own water yet, I do plan on buying a water testing kit to incorporate into my brew day and brew day prep.

you have the capacity for 100 gallons, but do you need to utilize all 100 gallons? I would think you would store what you need. or what you could reasonably go through without it hanging around for too long.

No I really don't need to utilize all 100 gallons. That had crossed my mind and will probably end up being the case. Just couldn't pass up the deal on the tank.

Latest posts

Back