Store-bought Cold-Brew Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
I'm making a coffee stout, and I've decided that I want to use cold brewed coffee. I've seen different techniques for cold-brewing, and the proper steps for sanitation, but one option that I haven't seen here is store-bought cold brewed coffee. Probably going to get a bottle from a local roaster/shop Zumbar, and I want to add the coffee at bottling.

Has anyone else just bought a bottle of coffee to add, and if so: Did you sanitize/how did you sanitize? How much did you use? How was it?

:mug:

Honestly if something is in a sealed container that is meant to be drunk, then it's already "sanitary" enough to add to our beer.

As to whether or not to use it, just read the ingredients label and make sure it doesn't contain any chemicals or preservatives that might hamper fermentation/bottle conditioning, also if it is presweented and you are bottling you need to factor that in as well, that may be all you need (if it's a fermentable sugar) to carb with.

I give info oh how to carb beers with alternatives like fruit juice, candy etc, and how to calculate how much you need in the second half of this post, including a basic brewing podcast (look for that part beginning with mention of OCT 2010.)

I agree with everything Revvy stated above especially about if it's an "off the shelf" product in a sealed bottle, it's already sanitary. I would only add two things:

1. Sanitize the outside of the bottle prior to opening it, same practice if you were using liquid yeast.

2. Think about adding the coffee to the ferementer, about 7 days after fermintation started or a few weeks prior to bottling. This will really impart the coffee flavor "evenly" and also allow the yeast to clean up anything and mellow out any bitterness.

I made a Java stout and added cold press coffee that I made. I cold pressed the coffee with RO water and left it sitting over night in the fridge to really draw out the coffee. I then added the coffee about 2-3 weeks prior to kegging and it was perfect, that Stout didn't last long as everyone was drinking it fast and loved the coffee flavor in it.

If I may add something based on my experience: Rack the beer onto the coffee, rather than adding the coffee to the beer. This allows for a more even distribution of coffee.

I've done 2 identical batches and the beer that I added the coffee to had varying degrees of coffee flavor from bottle to bottle. The beer that I racked onto the coffee had a more uniform flavor bottle to bottle.

All excellent advice and suggestions, thanks!

Yeah, I had a feeling that the sealed bottle should be fine, just double-checking.

I plan on using just straight coffee, no sweeteners or cream added. I will check the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure it will be: Water, Coffee.

My original plan was to rack onto the coffee after fermentation, and then let is sit for another week. Some comments I read made it seem as if adding at bottling time would be the simplest/fewer steps, but I do really want the coffee flavor to be present so I think I will go back to racking to secondary.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
If I may add something based on my experience: Rack the beer onto the coffee, rather than adding the coffee to the beer. This allows for a more even distribution of coffee.

I've done 2 identical batches and the beer that I added the coffee to had varying degrees of coffee flavor from bottle to bottle. The beer that I racked onto the coffee had a more uniform flavor bottle to bottle.

This +100..
I usually always use cold brewed coffee in my coffee stouts or porters. I usually like to make my own as I can adjust for a flavored coffee taste as needed. I use distilled water as the water, clean and sanitize my French Press and add a bit more grounds to the brew to "amp up" the coffee profile a bit. It does not add much of a coffee profile to the beer otherwise.

Back