Storage Jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Hi HBT, I've become obssessed with re-using my yeast and have many different vessels in my fridge saving the little guys for my next batch. I'm running short of space and have now two of my starter beakers with airlocks holding cakes for me to wash... Yeah not happy with this approach at all...

This is my plan... (i'll post the sites where i found the jars if you want)
I found 4 oz amber jars that come with Droppers price for jar and droper under 1 buck. What my plan is to do is have two jars of the same yeast where one is for long term storage and the other i'll take samples into my yeast starter for pitching.

My question is this.. what affects can happen to the yeast from opening and closing the jar to take a a few droppers of the yeast out? would it "funk" the yeast? I know it will not kill it.

The other option is to just get regular caps (its even cheaper) and use one jar at a time and alternating strains. Being that the strain used for the same beer could change in "character" this could be a good way to control the strain or refresh it when the results are altered too much.

I am definately going to a single size bottle and i think 4 oz ambers are perfect.

let me know if i can post the site where i found these GEMS... I'm still waiting on a response on the caps and if they are BPA free... they should be but I always ask.

Latest posts

Back