stopper fell in to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppapatamus

Reaction score
So I was racking.my IPA to secondary and I pushed the stopper through. It's now floating in my beer. I put another one on but am not sure whether to bottle or condition longer. I fermented three weeks in the primary already. The recipe called for two weeks in.primary four weeks in secondary. Am I safe to ferment with the rubber stopper in there or should I just bottle ?

Does it still need to be dry-hopped? If so, I'd just proceed as normal, relax and think happy thoughts. If its just going to sit in there for a few weeks not doing much, I'd go ahead and bottle. 3 weeks in primary is plenty for an ipa. Ohh, if you just racked it and have sediment you don't want, I'd cold crash it a day and then bottle.

I've done this too, though I don't use a secondary unless it is a mead or wine. Since what is done is done, I just went through everything as planned.

I was worried that trying to fish the stopper out or racking to another fermentor would just increase the risk of infection. So I just let it be and it turned out fine for me.

It was a pain getting it out after I was done though. I had to thread twine through the stopper and carefully loop it around and then yank it out. I recommend getting a stopper a half size up for next time. Good luck

I'm an over thinker on top of being a rookie. I was supposed to dry hop but it was going to be my first time doing so and I got scared I would have a hop bag stuck in there with a stopper and threw away my dry hops after having a hard time trying to fit them in. So now its just sitting. Seems like everyone thinks it will be fine so ill just let it settle some and bottle

Would a night in my garage do the job of cold crashing ? It's mid to low sixties at night here right now.

When you are trying to get it out just flip the jug over and try to rotate the stopper so the smaller end comes out first. Then you can grab it and pull it through. No need to fish for it. Not saying you wouldn't do this but after a few beers it took me a minute to figure it out. Lol

I pushed a grommet on a bucket lid into my fermented beer trying to replace the blow off tube with putting on a airlock. Although my airlock was wet and sanitized,my grommet that had my blow of previously attacthed was not sanitized. It could have gotten briefly sanitized from my wet airlock and forcing that in it. But it popped in the beer. I figured it was better to leave it than to open it to fish it out. Its fine.

I've done this before as well. As long as it's sanitized, your beer is perfectly fine. If you have a hard time getting the stopper out after you rack the beer, there are tons of tricks on youtube.

Back