stop lurking, start working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skywaters

Reaction score
...is what I kept telling myself. I finally took my own advice, so I thought I should stop and say hi!
I'm a brand-new brewer, worked with cultures and fermentation before, but never anything more complicated than kombucha. I live in Minneapolis, I work weird hours, I'm young enough to daydream about making up my own butterbeer. My favorite beer in the winter is an oatmeal stout; my favorite in the summer is Bell's Oberon. My mama's Irish, so I feel obligated to never turn down a Guinness.
I started with some easy cider (Whole Foods, in the original jug, Belgian Abbey Ale yeast off of the suggestion of the guy at Northern Brewer), and then bought a carboy and started another batch, with some different juices and Nottingham yeast. Those are still working away - I bottled the original cider last weekend, and it was still extremely yeasty, so I'm a big nervous that it's a bust...but, eh, first batch ever, so I'm not too upset.
Also, I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas that I'd kind of forgotten about, so I threw that together last weekend and just racked it to secondary off of numerous recommendations to disregard the included instructions and do so. I'm expecting it to be a very generic light macro-style brew, but I already had it on hand and I'm thinking it might make some easy-drinking shandy when mixed with fresh lemonade in the summer!

I have all sorts of things I'm itching to try, but I'm pacing myself before going nuts. I think next up is an extract kit - I'd love to clone something easy-drinking and tasty, like New Belgian's 1554.

Anyway - just wanted to stop in and introduce myself!

Welcome it's not as intimidating as it seems especially with a great site like this as a reference as well as tons of people happy and willing to help you along the way

Welcome to the madness. Your work with kombucha will help you in beer brewing as well. Sanitize EVERYTHING!!! and keep your "BEER" and "kombucha" very far away from each other....

Cheers
Jay

Back