Stollen beer tastes better!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 5 bags of imported German stollen bites leftover from the troubles, probably not great to eat anymore but maybe I can use them in a holiday pastry stout?

I was thinking I might stew them first to separate out the fats, then add them to the mash. Thoughts?

20220806_120907.jpg

20220806_121021.jpg

Fort Rock in Rancho Cordova, Ca makes a really good Christmas imperial stout called Jingle Juice. They throw a ton of ginger snap cookies in the mash. Stollen would probably be just fine if you are thinking of a pastry stout. I have heard of commercial brewers using Orio cookies. Lots of fat in those.

I have 5 bags of imported German stollen bites leftover from the troubles, probably not great to eat anymore but maybe I can use them in a holiday pastry stout?

I was thinking I might stew them first to separate out the fats, then add them to the mash. Thoughts?

View attachment 779718
View attachment 779719

I'm not to sure I would worry much about the fats... a lot of commercial styles add in cakes and cookies without much through to it, why not do the same here? Get a base recipe together and chuck all the cookies in the mash. I don't think you will get much flavor out of them, but I suppose you could try to do a flame out/whirlpool addition as well... If you want a real stollen flavor, I would focus on adding spices in addition to the cookies. It would be easy enough to get the lemon and orange peel flavors (late boil/flame out addition like in a witbier). Get a real solid malt bill together, maybe some Munich and crystal malts. I would agree that a stout might not be the best. Something like an Imperial Red, or maybe even a Bock or Doppelbock?

I have tried adding marzipan to a stout before in secondary. Gives off a lot of cherry flavor. I will need to try that again....

I'm not to sure I would worry much about the fats... a lot of commercial styles add in cakes and cookies without much through to it, why not do the same here? Get a base recipe together and chuck all the cookies in the mash. I don't think you will get much flavor out of them, but I suppose you could try to do a flame out/whirlpool addition as well... If you want a real stollen flavor, I would focus on adding spices in addition to the cookies. It would be easy enough to get the lemon and orange peel flavors (late boil/flame out addition like in a witbier). Get a real solid malt bill together, maybe some Munich and crystal malts. I would agree that a stout might not be the best. Something like an Imperial Red, or maybe even a Bock or Doppelbock?

I have tried adding marzipan to a stout before in secondary. Gives off a lot of cherry flavor. I will need to try that again....
Thanks for the ideas!

Back