Stir plate : To much spin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facinerous

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, I don't know. Is it possible to have a stir plate that stirs to much?

I just finished building my stir plate, and the capability of this silly thing is beyond what I anticipated. I did it my way instead of what is commonly seen with a diy stir plate.

So my stupid question is. Can you have to much stir action going on to where its detrimental to the actual yeast starter.

Of course I am not going to be splashing wort all over the place. This is just in relation to the vortex created, and how fast things are moving.

stirplate.jpg

vortex.jpg

I'm not sure if a crazy vortex would hurt your yeast. I do know you do not need a vortex of any kind to make a good yeast starter. All you need the stir plate to do is keep the yeast moving and in suspension. I've tossed the stir bar a few times in the middle of the night with to much speed on the "stir" and the vortex I had wasn't even close to what your picture shows. I'd rather have a slow stir than toss the bar and have no stir all night.

You'll get a little less vortex when you have your starter potion in the flask, as the viscosity will be a little higher, so more drag on your stir bar.

Nice. Thanks guys. I ended up looking around a bit more and found quite a few answers. They are all roughly the same. I guess I'll just mess around with it when the time comes.

A stir plate only needs a slight vortex. Once a starter absorbs oxygen 8 ppm or so it can't take anymore in no matter how much vortex applied. I've heard that too high of a vortex can cause the cells to shear damaging and destroying the cells.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did a silly test with it and filled a 6 gal bucket to about 5 gal. Threw it on the stir plate and let er spin. It was funny cause I think I could oxygenate 5 gal of wort with this thing after a boil if I wanted to.

I don't want to be damaging any of my little yeast buddies though, so I'll keep the RPM down.

Latest posts

Back