Stir plate suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd22

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a stir plate. Does anyone have a favorite model they'd recommend? The prices online vary greatly, so I figured it was worth asking.

Also, I've done the whole DIY model in the past and it was ok but I think I'll just drop the coin for a pre-built one this time.

Any suggestion you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a stir plate. Does anyone have a favorite model they'd recommend? The prices online vary greatly, so I figured it was worth asking.

You can spend a lot or a little on a stir plate. Like anything else, big $$ usually add up to better equipment but sometimes those $$ aren't really necessary.

I bought an earlier model of this one on eBay a couple years ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...081035?hash=item210869ef4b:g:9hMAAOSwL7VWlCuA

It has served me well, speed is completely adjustable and I have had no issues with it throwing magnets or giving any other problems. It does stand a bit taller than some of the less expensive models, but I didn't buy it for looks. Good luck!

Funny that I spent the last couple of weeks reading about and watching on youtube countless DIY stir plates and comparing them to truly overpriced off-the-shelf ones only to settle for this little gem:

http://www.digitalhomebrew.com/diy-magnetic-stirplate-kit-v2

I'm still waiting to receive it so i can't give an opinion yet. But for US$34, every component you need is included plus two stir bars. Just need to find your own housing. Check out the demo video!

Thanks all! Great feedback and much appreciated. I decided to go middle of the road and went with this one:

Duda Energy mags Aluminum HJ-1 Magnetic Stirrer for Use with Magnetic Stir Bars, 2400 rpm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F7R8Z8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The reviews were pretty solid and that darn Prime shipping suckers me in every time.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stirstarters also comes with a lifetime warranty. Anything happens, for any reason, at any time, they will replace it. For $45, can't beat it

I bought a Fisher Thermix 610T 12"x12" on ebay for less than $100 and restored it (worked when I got but very dirty and rusty) It works thousands of times better than the DIY kit that I made. I can turn up to max with any combination of stir bar I have and a 1/2 through 6L Erlenmeyer

Looking into this myself... The Maelstrom seems to have such shoddy build quality based on some videos I've watched of it. Awful soldering jobs. Perhaps this many years later the quality has been resolved?

Looking into this myself... The Maelstrom seems to have such shoddy build quality based on some videos I've watched of it. Awful soldering jobs. Perhaps this many years later the quality has been resolved?
I've had mine since they came out and I've never noticed anything close to shoddy about it. Never had a issue. It works excellent. The case is very stable even with a 5l flask. I've had a few different ones with mediocre results previously. I guess to summarize I've had mine for a long time and feel it's build quality is very excellent. Cheers

@mtodd22, I initially bought this from MoreBeer. https://www.morebeer.com/products/stir-plate-magnetic.html When I first bought it, it indicated it could handle up to 5000ml flask. Now, it indicates a lower 3000ml flask rating.

I make starters for 10 gallon batches and I felt the stirplate from MB was struggling. This was especially apparent when I made 3.75-4.0L starters calculated at 1.061 for higher ABV brews. I'm guessing that is why MoreBeer lowered its rating capacity. Maybe coincidence.

My replacement was a Maelstrom and it is a beast. I suggest you should buy it when it is on sale like what Northern Brewer is currently having...a 15% off (BOOTLEG code). That lowers the price from $139.99 to $118.99.

Good luck with your research.

@mtodd22, I initially bought this from MoreBeer. https://www.morebeer.com/products/stir-plate-magnetic.html When I first bought it, it indicated it could handle up to 5000ml flask. Now, it indicates a lower 3000ml flask rating.

I make starters for 10 gallon batches and I felt the stirplate from MB was struggling. This was especially apparent when I made 3.75-4.0L starters calculated at 1.061 for higher ABV brews. I'm guessing that is why MoreBeer lowered its rating capacity. Maybe coincidence.

My replacement was a Maelstrom and it is a beast. I suggest you should buy it when it is on sale like what Northern Brewer is currently having...a 15% off (BOOTLEG code). That lowers the price from $139.99 to $118.99.

Good luck with your research.
I also got mine on a sale. I think it was actually 20% off when I got mine

I also got mine on a sale. I think it was actually 20% off when I got mine

I ended up buying mine last January when NB put them specifically on sale and then NB had an additional 15% off sale at the time. I ended up paying only $99.98. Then I paid using Northern Brewer gift cards that I bought from a HBT member at a 17% discount. If you are patient, deals can be found.

BTW @Blazinlow86, you had recommended the Maelstrom to me when I started a thread asking about it back in January. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Guess the videos I've seen were anomalies. I'm very close to ordering the StirStarter stir plate however, due to the lifetime warranty. That alone makes any investment worthwhile to me. I like repairability.

I`ve got two stirstarters, both were used when I got them. Pretty basic but I haven't had any issues. One I've had for about 2 years and the other about 1/2 year.

Thanks everyone! I’m about to bottle the first two beers I’ve ever made! I did them a few days apart but cold crashed both yesterday.

I ordered the 5L StirStarter for my 5th brew, my first using liquid yeast. Aside from repairability I’m also someone that if possible, only wants to buy once! Figured I’d future proof my inevitable 10 gallon batches...

Anyone use a combination hot plate stirrer? The idea of boiling and stirring in the same place seems appealing but not sure if the extra cost is worth it

Anyone use a combination hot plate stirrer? The idea of boiling and stirring in the same place seems appealing but not sure if the extra cost is worth it

Boiling your starter would kill the yeast. I suspect you really meant "heating" and stirring. With that said, if you are making a starter in your home where your room temperature is in the 60s or 70s, there is no reason to have a stir plate that has a heating feature.

Boiling your starter would kill the yeast. I suspect you really meant "heating" and stirring. With that said, if you are making a starter in your home where your room temperature is in the 60s or 70s, there is no reason to have a stir plate that has a heating feature.

I meant to boil the wort in a lab grade flask. Letting cool and then adding yeast to minimize transfers.

I meant to boil the wort in a lab grade flask. Letting cool and then adding yeast to minimize transfers.

I'm not sure about your process in making starters and what you mean by "to minimize transfers". Typically, the wort is already being boiled in the flask by using one of two different methods (direct heat from a burner/heating coil on a stove or by putting the flask in a pot filled with water that is boiled). There is no transfer with either method when making the starter.

I suppose one could boil the wort in a pot and then use a funnel and transfer the wort into a flask. I'm not sure why one would follow that process. If there was a concern about the flask cracking or breaking, then the method of putting the flask with wort in it in a pot of water (my method) will contain the wort in case the flask had a failure. Besides, using a stir plate that had the capability to boil would expose the flask to cracking or breaking that would spill wort all over just as easily as directly heating the flask over a burner method.

I'm not sure if lab stir plates can heat high enough to boil wort. Briefly looking at a few indicated they had safety sensors to turn the unit off at 50c (~122F). Even if they were able to go ~212F, I don't see an advantage with them. I would think it would take a very long time to reach that temp and of course the heating element rating would affect this time. Plus, that is one more item that could fail.

Back