stir plate starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike024

Reaction score
I have only brewed two batches and quickly learned I needed to make starters for my batches as I like high gravity brews, and I need a wort chiller, as I don't like waiting. Anyhow, my question is this...... how do I determine how much of a starter to make? On beersmith it said I needed 9 packets of White labs 1002 for a 1.079 brew. This seems crazy to me. Is this true? If so I need to start saving my yeast cakes.

Any feedback would be great. My stir plate comes in a week so I want to be ready to get it started ASAP.

THANKS

I have only brewed two batches and quickly learned I needed to make starters for my batches as I like high gravity brews, and I need a wort chiller, as I don't like waiting. Anyhow, my question is this...... how do I determine how much of a starter to make? On beersmith it said I needed 9 packets of White labs 1002 for a 1.079 brew. This seems crazy to me. Is this true? If so I need to start saving my yeast cakes.

Any feedback would be great. My stir plate comes in a week so I want to be ready to get it started ASAP.

THANKS

Beersmith always pegs the date on the yeast as something like 2011 sometime unless you update it, so it is assuming only 5% viable cells. Change that to a date like "4 weeks ago" as a rough estimate, or use the actual date on the vial if you have it.

Back