Stir plate + milk jug??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
So my stir plates working, but my flask isn't here yet, and really want to get this starter going today - can I put a milk jug starter or the striplate and still get decent results, or will that not work so well?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can use anything with a flat bottom on your stirplate. As Flars said, if it spins it will work.

Thanks guys, got a growler set to use, but upon testing found that the flimsy computer fan I pulled out of an old dell might not work - the plastic fan blades seems to bend enough, and the base of the fan housing is all metal, so the magnetic is pulling towards that and disrupting it's function....back to the drawing board :(

I got E6000 to adhere the magnet better to the fan as it started to pull off just from turning it on, I'll see how it works with spacers tomorrow.
I've been doing shake and swirl up until now, which seems to work okay, but I have a pretty crazy schedule, so I only get probably 10 shakes in per day.

When you swirl the starter container and an instant krausen does not form it is done.
You may already know this. Just thought I would mention because some yeast finish faster than others.

Latest posts

Back