Stir Plate Magnets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like everytime I need to make a yeast starter, one of the magnets comes out of it's little "pocket". So I keep using hot glue to re-glue the little sucker. PITA, to a point. So what do you use to keep the magnets from getting loose?

I use small magnets from a 3.5" hard drive, held in place with just blu-tack. Works fine, strangely.

I figured if it gave me any grief I'd lock them in place with some epoxy or "proper" glue (ie not a hot glue gun). Even a good coating in PVA might do the trick.

I have a magnet from a hard drive. I stuck it on with glue but it was not quite in the right place. I broke it off and positioned it on the computer fan. There is something magnetic under the plastic fan. It just sits there with the magnetism holding it!

Try epoxy!

never thought about epoxy, funny thing is I just brought some home from work for another project. My stir plate was ordered on-line, maybe they guys that are building them ought to change over to epoxy, instead of hot glue?

Does the stir plate stay still or does it move/wobble around? I just tape my magnets on, once I get it centered I don't have any issues.

I've used various magnets,bar, neod, hard drive...

well guess what happened? One fell off, but it still made a vortex. Will take it into work tomorrow and epoxy it up on company time

I have a stack of those round, flat magnets used for crafts, like fridge magnets. Would those be OK to use? I still have a 32 CFM fan I used to cool my racing slot car's motors with...

Back