Stir Plate and Erlenmeyer Flask Size Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawbadger

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a stir plate and was wondering if folks have a particular brand they'd recommend? Northern Brewer has the Vortex which seems to be on the upper end of the price scale ($99) while other home brew sites (here) / Amazon (here) have various models in the $50-90 range and then there's StirStarters which seem to be a pretty universally available brand.

At least right now, I'm not looking to do the DIY route so any brand suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on getting a 2L versus 5L flask?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're doing 10 gallon batches, I can't possibly imagine how a 5itre flask would be useful.

I generally use a 1L flask. I'll use a gallon jug when i want to make a 2L starter. Many of the flasks out there are cheapies and quite fragile. A borosilicate 5L flask would be pretty pricey I'd think.

Chris

MoreBeer has a 5-L flask for $40 that I have been happy with. A 5-L flask is absolutely useful for 5-gallon batches. For medium- to high-gravity lagers, you can step up once or twice with a smaller flask, or you can grow a 3-4 liter starter. I don't like stepping up, so I just grow a large starter. I also use the large flask to grow oversized starters, where I can pull off 100-150 billion cells to store for future batches, and harvest the rest for my upcoming session. Starters on a stir plate can get pretty intense blowoff, so having some extra head space in the flask is also helpful (Fermcap is better).

For the stir plate, I recommend reading through the reviews and making sure it is large enough to spin the largest starter you could see yourself making. You could also look into building your own if you are a DIY-er.

Whatever size flask you get, make sure it's made of Borosilicate glass. You will be able to directly heat it and cool it. Otherwise you'll need to boil your starter in a pot or some other vessel, cool it then transfer it to the flask prior to pitching.

You can build your own stir plate if you're handy otherwise, get this: http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Stirstarter-Yeast-Stir-Plate-_p_1306.html

For context, I do anywhere from 5-15 gallon batches but I tend to split the larger ones and pitch different yeast strains. With that being said, i'd probably be doing starters for predominantly 5 gal batches and wouldn't mind stepping up for larger beers or batch sizes. Also, I don't brew lagers so those larger starters won't be as necessary.

Unless you're doing 10 gallon batches, I can't possibly imagine how a 5itre flask would be useful.

I generally use a 1L flask. I'll use a gallon jug when i want to make a 2L starter. Many of the flasks out there are cheapies and quite fragile. A borosilicate 5L flask would be pretty pricey I'd think.

Chris

Or if you ever want to do lagers, or harvest yeast from a starter, or do bigger beers where a stepped up starter would be required without a larger flask.

First, play around with this yeast calculator.

Then, take a look at this, just for future reference.

Personally, I only own a 2L flask, because I don't want to drop the cash for a 5L, however there are often times I lament not owning a 5L and I'm constantly on the lookout for deals on them.

Stir starters is definitely the way to go as far as the stir plate, or even this. A little more expensive, but if I were in the market for a stir plate, that's probably the one I would go with.

For context, I do anywhere from 5-15 gallon batches but I tend to split the larger ones and pitch different yeast strains. With that being said, i'd probably be doing starters for predominantly 5 gal batches and wouldn't mind stepping up for larger beers or batch sizes. Also, I don't brew lagers so those larger starters won't be as necessary.

You may want to one day, though. That's the predicament I'm in right now. I've been brewing for over four years, and just did my first lager. I went with dry yeast because I didn't want to do stepped starters, but there are a ton of liquid yeasts that I want to try one day.

I have a 2L, 3L, & a 5L flask. I brew 5.5g batches more often than not and my 3L flask gets the most use. There are a few brews, like lagers and ales of larger batch sizes where the 5L comes in handy. I've stopped altogether trying to do starters for Belgian strains in the 2L as they nearly always volcano, so I use the 3L for those. I also make my starters a little larger than needed so I can save some yeast for a future starter, so that adds a bit to the starter volume making the 2L flask less than ideal some times. If I had to, I could pretty much live without the 2L, as the 3L works for anything I would use the 2L for.

Unless you are brewing 20gal, I can't imagine needing more than a 2L. You can make a pretty decent starter even without stepping it. I made a starter in my 2L flask (likely 2x the size I needed), pitched it in a Java Stout and had airlock activity in 2 hours. HUGE krausen, then after 3 days it is down to next to nothing. I'm fairly certain I overpitched, but wow that was an impressive krausen.

Make a DIY stir plate and save the money for recipe ingredients. There are plans all over the site for them, and they are easy to follow instructions if you are handy...

I have the older version of this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S25P5M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is awesome to have. I also brew 10+ gallon batches and I have a 5l and a couple 2l flasks. I rarely use the 2l flasks. Even when I only brew 5 gallon batches I would use the 5l flask. It is just easier to deal with one flask for all my needs. Also, there is much less of a chance of it exploding with yeast. The morebeer flask has roughly 6 liters of capacity with markings to the 5l mark. It is a good quality flask for the price.

I always think you should get the biggest thing you can afford now because down the road it might be what you need. At least that is how i operate. I had no idea what I would be doing when I bought that flask, but now it is just the right size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one. Very reasonably priced, and comes with a stir bar, transformer and keeper magnet. I am very pleased with the unit.

Or you can build one from an old computer fan and magnets. Lots of discussion on that around here.

I have a 2L and 3L flask. The 2L is what I use most of the time. The 3L is nice for starters for big beers and lagers.

Beware some of the cheap "student grade" glassware sold online, as it can have nicks and scratches, and sometimes bubbles in the glass. Pyrex and Kimex brands are tops, but you'll pay more for it.

Latest posts

Back