stinky smell from notty yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterchief1112

Reaction score
ive noticed when using notty yeast that my beers develop a stinky smell. closest smell i can pin it to is a nasty fart. kinda noticeable in the fermenter but very noticable in the bottle but dissapates if left to sit for an extra week or two. ferm temp is usually around 65 ish.

I haven't experienced it in a beer yet, but I did rehydrate a pack from the latest "questionable" batch and it stunk up my entire apartment. Needless to say the only place I pitched it was down the drain.

How soon are you drinking your beer after bottling?

Does it smell like olives almost? Neutral yeasts can produce an olive-like smell when fermenting. Don't worry though, it's normal and harmless; it doesn't carry over post fermentation. Maybe you bottled too early. Please post more specs.

Fermentation is ugly and stinky on NORMAL brews. It doesn't really matter how the yeast smells, or what smell is coming out of the airlock during fermentation, if it's coming out, that means it's not staying in your beer.

That is what lagering does, helps to eliminate the "stinky" sulphuric smell that gets produced often by lager strains of yeast.

Relax. And don't smell your yeast...

the reason im asking is because you can taste it in the beer as well. take my last beer i made with it. 8 das in primary, 11 in secondary, 15 days in bottle. i dont think its too young and its fermenting out

a beer can be done that fast. but it may not be. i usually primary for three weeks to a month. (usually a month) then its in the bottles for atleast another three weeks. (or keg for probably two weeks) unless its a beer thats meant to be drank young like a hefe. like i said the beer maybe ready then, but no need to rush it if its not. taste it before you bottle. maybe let it sit a little longer. and i think most people here suggest ATLEAST three weeks in the bottle. just because its carbed doesnt mean its conditioned. hope that helps.

Sulfur maybe ? I know that I have tried Notty a bunch of times and I have always been displeased with the results. It has that grainy, nutty, tart taste in the bottle that I just do not like.

Back