Stillwater Classique Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaynsawchuk

Reaction score
Summer is soon upon us and I can barely restrain myself from replacing all the liquid in my diet with Stillwater Classique. Does anyone have a good clone?

Between their website and a few interviews I have gleaned that it might be an updated recipe for a beer called National Bohemian, an adjunct-laden American Lager, but fermented with saison yeast and Cascade hops.

My game plan looks something like this

OG: 1.036
FG: 1.002
ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 23
SRM: 1

90% pils
10% flaked maize
10% toasted rice flakes

15 AAU of Sterling @ 90 minutes
8 AAU of Sterling @ 5 minutes
1 oz Sterling @ 0 minutes
2 oz Cascade @ 0 minutes
2 oz Cascade Keg Hop

Ferment with WY3711.

Is that too much adjunct? Maybe a little Munich for color/complexity?

Other suggestions?

Cheers!

Finally tapped this keg!

Final recipe was 5.5G based on 80% efficiency with water adjusted roughly to 'light and hoppy' according to brewer's friend.

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.003
ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 20
SRM: 2

5 lbs pilsner malt
1/2 lb carapils
1/2 lb bonlander munich
1/2 lb rice flakes
1/2 lb flaked maize

Mashed @ 152 F

1/2 oz Sterling (8.7% AA) @ 90 min FWH
1/2 oz Sterling (8.7% AA) @ 5 min
2 oz Cascade (6.4% AA) @ flameout
1 oz Sterling (8.7% AA) @ flameout
1 oz Cascade (6.4% AA) @ keg hop

Pitched at 70F and fermented at ambient with WY3711 at a slight underpitch.

Went a little lower than I anticipated, not sure whether I would be better off lessening the malt bill or attempting to raise the target FG.

I got a chance to do a side by side (sorry, forgot to take a photo) and they are strikingly similar. The original is a little deeper in color (maybe 3-4 SRM), significantly more bitter (probably 30ish IBU) and the flavor of the Cascade hops more pronounced. I'm thinking the yeast may be different as well, perhaps a blend of 3711 and another saison yeast. The original has that distinct, bone dry, 3711 character and a hint of the musty white pepper I find it gives, but is lacking a little in the clove-banana-apple department.

All-in-all quite proud.

Back