Still some gas present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
So this is my 2nd wine from a kit. I did the Winexpert Eclipse Merlot from Stags Leap.

Here was my schedule (mostly according to instructions)
I did primary for 7 days
secondary for 17 days
I degassed with a drill mix-stir and put into "bulk aging" with an additional 1/4 tsp KMS for 27 days

Then...after tasting it, still with gas....I vacuum pumped and let it sit for 60 days.

So, after this period...thinking it was ready to bottle, I noticed it STILL had gas (noticeable but not alot).
I then dissolved 4 campden tablets and vacuum pumped AND drill stirred it.

Now I am 5 days after that. The campden was added....tasted it and still with a bit of gas

What should I do? If I continue to vacuum pump transfer daily for a few days will it go away?

SECOND QUESTION
I also did a wine from a fruit base with a similar schedule as above. This one is even MORE gassy.
However this one is in a 3 gallon BB, so I can not vacuum.

Should I keep racking and stirring this one before bottling?

Stick it in a dark corner and forget about it. Many of mine have degassed and cleared naturally, very quickly, a couple have taken a lot longer. I have two meads, at 6 and 8 months and one stubborn apple wine at nearly 9 months that have really taken forever. They are all getting very close to done now, they will be in bottles by the one year mark. Patience, patience, patience.

Will it degass if it just sits or do I have to agitate it?

Also, will I get it done faster if over the next week I vacuum transfer it 2-3 times?

Will it degass if it just sits or do I have to agitate it?

Also, will I get it done faster if over the next week I vacuum transfer it 2-3 times?

Yes, probably. Also, warmer temperatures help with degassing so if the weather gets warmer, that will make degassing easier. (Cold wine holds onto the gas much more than warmer wine).

non-degassed wines can be spoiled from having gas in suspension for too long... it is best to remove the gas as soon as possible before bottling. You can make sparkling wine but there is a special method for doing this and you have to use thicker glass to keep the bottles from exploding.

non-degassed wines can be spoiled from having gas in suspension for too long... it is best to remove the gas as soon as possible before bottling. You can make sparkling wine but there is a special method for doing this and you have to use thicker glass to keep the bottles from exploding.

So the general consensus is to let it sit for another few months in the carboy?
Everything is already added, so the only thing left is to bottle it.

No one recommends doing a couple vacuum transfers to degas it faster or is that not ideal?

Either degas again and bottle OR sit for 6 months to degas on its own. (Don't add the campden until after vacuum racking, as I stated earlier, you will be pulling the SO2 out of the wine)

Both will give about the same results.

Sitting really does help wine, though.

Back