Still needs to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverseen34

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time brewing beer and I am just using a simple wheat ingredient kit from my local homebrew store. I have been following the instructions and have just opened my primary and still see a decent amount of krausen.

I then decided to take the SG reading and I was expecting somewhere around 1.013 that the instructions say it is supposed to be. I attached a picture because even though I am not good at reading this it is obviously nowhere near 1.013. Should I let it sit more in the primary?

For more information I didn't get a starting read as I didn'tknow I could use the siphon like this to test the SG and I couldn't think of any other things tall enough that I could use to get a reading.

SG reading.jpg
krausen.jpg

How long has it been going? What was your original gravity reading?

That looks like it is still VERY active. Close'er back up!

No matter when this sample was taken the beer is still in active fermentation. Put the lid back on and wait another 10 days to take the next sample.

And with all those bubbles in the test cylinder your reading will not be accurate. And can't see the bottom, it is floating isn't it.

That beer is still in active fermentation. I wait 14 days at least for every beer before I even think of taking a gravity reading. Some will be done earlier but it never harms anything to wait a little longer. Most of mine don't get bottled or kegged for 3 weeks or longer, mostly due to procrastination in getting it packaged.

Ok thanks! I thought it was odd that the instructions said to ferment for only 5 days

If you bottle before it's finished fermenting, it will finish in the bottles. It will be over carbonated, and could easily explode from the pressure in the bottles.

Yeast do what they want, WHEN they want. Yeast from the same lot will even ferment at different rates depending on your recipe, fermentation temperature, cycle of the moon, whatever. It's best to leave it until at least the krausen drops completely. Opening the fermenter to check it also leaves your beer open to oxidation, or possibly an infection, something you really do not want. Patience, padawan!

Back