Still have krausen after 10 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of a blonde ale 10 days ago using US 05, o.g.= 1.053 (should have been 1.047). I checked on it tonight, but when I opened the top, it had quite a bit of krausen still, I need to keg it in the next few days so I hope finishes soon. My estimated f.g. (according to beersmith) should be 1.008 with mashing at 148 degrees and it is at about 1.009 right now, but my mash temp ended up being closer to 140 deg, so can I expect my terminal gravity to be much lower because of the lower mash? I fermented at 69, but I bumped it up to 70.7 degrees tonight in an attempt to speed things up, was this a bad Idea?

Thanks

Couple of questions - what yeast? How much yeast? And was there any simple sugar in the recipe?

Assuming a standard pitch of WLP001 with no sugar, you should be pretty close to terminal gravity (I see 80-85 max). Krausen is not always the best indicator whether or not fermentation is complete. In a quiet room, you can still have krausen for 2-3 weeks even though gravity isn't changing.

Lastly, what drives your "need" to keg soon. Even though FG is achieved, yeast are still active cleaning up and refining the finished product. Additionally, a week of cold conditioning on a blonde ale can do wonders. I'm sure it'd be good if you kegged it now, but when I test my patience, I'm always blown away by the results.

Yeah, every yeast is different - some have krausen for weeks (1007 is one example in my experience) while others drop out quickly. Letting it sit for an extra week, if possible, would probably help out the beer. Do you need it in a keg for a party soon? If so, you gotta' do, what you gotta' do...

I used 2 packets of rehydrated Safale US-05 Dry Yeast. I did not add any sugar, but I did accidentally mash too low (I think, not sure if I trust my thermometer anymore), and on top of that had a higher than expected S.G., so not really sure where my terminal gravity should be (I am still trying to dial in my new system and equipment profile in beersmith). I need it for a 4th of july party, and if I cannot keg it this Thursday, it will have to wait until monday. I did set my chamber to 70.7 to try and move it along, was this too high, should I lower it down to 70?

It's probably fine to keg on thursday.

I'd double check your thermometer, 140F is pretty low. If it is truly 140, you've got work to do. If you try to adjust and your thermometer is just off, you can easily denature enzymes and not get proper conversion.

Funny, I'm having the same exact issue with my Belgian wit. I pitched wlp410 on the 14th (9 days ago), and my mash temp was about 147 when I was shooting for 152. I've been slowly ramping up from 68, just hit 72, and the krausen persists. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet though. Trying to have this guy in the keg and ready to go by the 4th.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435112756.956258.jpg

Latest posts

Back