Sticky Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Odd question, recently I brewed a whiskey Oaked Russian Imperial Stout, I have gotten lots of compliments about the taste, and drunkability, it's pretty strong. But one think everyone says is that it leaves their lips sticky. I'm starting to think I didn't let it ferment long enough? Reason I say this, I usually taste the wort before the boil and after and it leaves a sticky residue on your lips because of all the sugars left behind from the conversion. This brew does the same thing. Should I have let it ferment longer? Thoughts please.

I'll ask the obvious question... How long did you let it ferment in the first place? Also, what was the OG

My guess is it fully fermented. RIS is very strong and will have a higher FG than your typical beer. The lingering strong tastes and extra residual sugar may give the impression that it lingers on the lips

drunkability?

The first beer I had at Octoberfest in Germany I categorized as "sticky". It all depends on what you're going for. If you are asking the question you probably already have a feeling it is too sweet? On big beers yeast is only going to go so far, and then finish. It is usually the practice on big beers to let them sit on the yeast cake for a bit to finish off. I usually rouse the yeast also to help it dry out a little more. But still if you have a beer that starts out at say 1.090 gravity or so, you are only gonna get down to around say 1.022 with 75% attenuation.

As a point of interest,I remember reading about Burton Ales once where they said it was such high gravity that the spilled beer made the mug stick to the bar. So that could be part of it. but you also could try a yeast that can tolerate higher ABV to get it drier than this one.

Latest posts

Back