Steps to fix a TapRite regulator that very slowly creeps up in PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Love Taprite, never had any issues in the years using my last regulator with secondary reg. My current single body dual output regular, a Taprite T752HP, has an issue that started happening after a few kegs. The left side regulator climbs in pressure very slowly. I hookup a beer and do my usual 30psi force carb for 30 or so hours and it hold the 30psi fine with no climb. But then after venting and resetting to desired PSI it slooowly creeps up. So say my hefeweizen, I set it for 17psi and it slowly creeps up toward 20psi over say two days. I've had this happen now with 2-3 beers I've used it on. The right side regulator stays rock solid. I have my Belgian Wit on there now with 15psi and it hasn't climbed at all over several days. Both beers I've taken some pours from and the right side goes back to whatever I set it to and the left still climbs higher than set over a few days.

Only thing I can think I might have done to mess it up is forgetting one time to dial the knob down to zero before opening the valve and hit it with 30psi full blast rather than dialing down, opening the valve, then turning up to 30psi when I was purging headspace.

So, I'm very technically inclined and am ok with opening it up, what do I need to do?

Rev.

Have you tried reversing the beers the regulators are attached to? Is it possible you overcarbed the Hefeweisen and that's increasing the pressure? That shouldn't happen, but wondering if that's part of the puzzle.

How old is the regulator? Mine(old enough to vote in most states) was doing the same so i changed the manifold gasket and it fixed it. Not saying that's entirely what's going on with you but something to look at.

This is weird. Exact same issue I am having with a two year old dual Taprite. I have checked all connections and there are no leaks. Only thing I did differently was hook up a brand new keg to the left side. I have not switched my lines yet to see if it's something with the left side gauge. If switching the lines do not work, guess I will be in the market for a new regulator. With that said, I would be a bit skeptical buying another Taprite since this one lasted just 2 years.

Does anyone think it's the gauge itself that is bad? I guess I could pick one up at Lowes to see if that solves the problem. I don't see how it could be anything else.

Last edited:
Mine is less than a year old. I haven't tried switching the lines since I don't want to screw up the carbonation on the Wit as well. I intentionally hooked the Hefeweizen to that side since they generally are very highly carbed anyhow so I figured it's not as big a deal if it creeps. I'm just going to turn off the gas flow to the keg since it's already carbed and will turn it back on when I serve.

Still would be great to know any simpler fixes other than disassembling the regulator, but I'll do that if necessary.

Rev.

Here are the instructions that come with a rebuild kit, should you choose to do so.
337DD72C-3DE3-4AB2-8897-35B7CFD60632-788-000000AB45D59677_tmp.jpg

It's a fairly straight forward process

So, I did some testing. The climb occurs still if I close the 90 degree output valve, but it only seems to climb a certain amount then stop. I tested purging the keg headspace, raising the PSI up to 17psi, then turning off the gas output to the keg then also disconnected the gas ball lock from the keg. Checked and an hour or two later the PSI was reading just about 21psi. Left it overnight and checked and it's still 21psi, no further climb. Interestingly, if I open the gas flow valve the psi reading drops back down to the originally set 17psi but if closed again will eventually resettle at 21psi.

So, my question now is... would you think it's still ok to use for now and just set my regulator 4psi lower than the target psi?

Rev.

Anyone? I'm planning to reconnect the gas to the keg tonight, just want to know what y'all think. Guess I can just purge, connect it and set to 14psi, and see if it settles at 17psi. Or perhaps start a little lower then adjust up if needed.

Rev.

I've tried everything i can think of and mine still creeps up. I've purged then re-connected and still climbs. When i shut off the valve for this particular line the PSI climbs more so when i do this then when i leave it alone. I may just get the rebuild kit and see it that solves the problem. Pretty frustrating to say the least considering the regulator isn't two years old yet.
And to be honest, i'm not sure the gauge is reading correctly anyway. I don't have a spunding valve that I can use to check but may make one up to see what the keg is reading.

Well, I set my PSI 3 low and it crept up 2psi and held steady. Gonna deal with it for now. Someday when I plan to have no kegs in the kegerator I'll probably try a rebuild for that side of the regulator. Just glad I'm not losing gas or continuously climbing.

Rev.

If a bit of crud lodges in the needle seat it can result in a similar, always-upward creep.

Perhaps worth trying: shut off the gas cylinder, remove the hose from the affected regulator and open its outlet shut-off valve fully, crank the affected regulator pressure setting way high - to open the gap in the needle seat - then with a firm grip on the assembly open the cylinder valve for a short blast. Do that a couple of times then put everything back to "normal" and see what happens...

Cheers!

Perhaps worth trying: shut off the gas cylinder, remove the hose from the affected regulator and open its outlet shut-off valve fully, crank the affected regulator pressure setting way high - to open the gap in the needle seat - then with a firm grip on the assembly open the cylinder valve for a short blast. Do that a couple of times then put everything back to "normal" and see what happens...

Thanks! That would definitely be worth a try before ordering a rebuild kit. One question though, I've always avoided opening the output valve to the keg after purging the headspace when set to a high psi like 30psi. The one time I did that it ruined my very first KegCo regulator. Ever since then I always first dial the knob back down to zero, purge the keg headspace, open the output valve, then turn the knob back up to 30psi. It's a real PITA to have to keep dialing the knob down then up when doing headspace O2 purging. Is it ok to open the valve and let 30psi rush in full force? I know KegCo regulators suck but I just want to make sure not to damage the Taprite as well. Seeing you mentioned hitting the regulator by opening the CO2 tank valve got me to wondering if I've just been doing this for no reason.

Rev.

I never go through all that. In fact I use the closed shut-off to set the desired regulator pressure without down-stream interference then simply open the shut-off again. The only thing I can think of that might go amiss would be a check valve ball being slammed to its stop and getting stuck there, but I've never had that happen.

btw I've used that "blast" procedure a couple of times over the years and it worked both times. Both "creeping" instances happened after cylinder refills so I may have introduced some random detritus in the process...

Cheers!

I've tried the recommendation from day trippr above but didn't work. I disconnected the regulator and replaced it with a single taprite I had and no issues. pressure is steady. So that is something wrong within the dual regulator. My tank was getting low and this morning the needle was all the way to empty. I checked all connections and no leaks were found.
At this point, I'm undecided if I want to order a rebuild kit or just replace the entire regulator. it sucks this thing isn't even 2 years old yet and already having issues.
Does anyone have any working knowledge of the CHudnow ones that Kegconnection sell?

Most of my regs are Chudnows, all of them primaries. I have two single bodies and a dual body in service. They are as reliable as my Taprite dual body but lack the human friendly adjustment knob. Rebuild kits are cheap and widely available and it takes 5-10 minutes to do a complete rebuild...

Cheers!

Got the rebuild kit. Instructions SUCK. Does anyone have a link to a video on how to remove/replace the parts? The parts that came with the kit are a little different. I searched online but didn't see anything that would help.

With the exception of the black rubber washer, I figured it out. Seems to be working as pressure has held so far.

Maybe the black rubber washer is the one where the regulator connects to the CO2 tank to create a seal? Not sure if they'd include that on a rebuild kit but maybe.

Rev.

Maybe the black rubber washer is the one where the regulator connects to the CO2 tank to create a seal? Not sure if they'd include that on a rebuild kit but maybe.
That's not it- I have a regulator that doesn't need to add the washer- has one already.

Rev.

That's not it- I have a regulator that doesn't need to add the washer- has one already.

Yes, Taprite's typically come with a rubber washer that connects to the CO2 tank. To replace it you use an allen key to unscrew the center piece then remove the washer and replace it. I don't know what your rubber washer looks like but that's what I was thinking perhaps it might be, a replacement washer.

Rev.

Yes, Taprite's typically come with a rubber washer that connects to the CO2 tank. To replace it you use an allen key to unscrew the center piece then remove the washer and replace it. I don't know what your rubber washer looks like but that's what I was thinking perhaps it might be, a replacement washer.

Rev.
The rubber washer is thick and doesn't match what is on there now. For now, not going to worry about it as it appears the rebuilt kit is working. Still sucks though knowing the regulator didn't last two years before needing to be repaired.

Latest posts

Back