Step mashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
I was going to try and do a step mash with a protein rest and then sac rest and I was wondering if I should stop recurculating and bring the heat up or continue pumping while I raise my temp.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Can you give us a profile of your equipment?
Is this a HERMS system?

Yes. Igloo tun and 2 keggles with a pump.

I did my first step mash last weekend and that's what I did. Stopped circulating the mash while temp went up. Briefly recirculated if my mash temped started to drop. Seemed to work fine. I do the same thing at mashout

I think you'd have better luck recirculating. You'll have a better time monitoring temps, and they will be more consistent.

Otherwise you run the risk of heating the bottom more than the top and missing your temps.

I have an igloo but I was wondering if I should still stop the pumps every so often and stir my mash or just leave it be. I use a bazooka screen but have a false bottom I can use. Any input

You could always add hot water to raise the temp...
Are you running a RIMS, and if so, what is the element size?

No I use a chiller 150 ft XL with pump and keggle. Herms I guess. I was just wondering since I use a screen (because I never get a stuck sparge that way) if while im recurculating if I should stop the pumps maybe twice while mashing as to not have a channeling problem or will recirculating act like sparging and just do it slowly. I batch sparge and have never used the false bottom I have so I dont know if that would be better than a screen for what im doing?

I added a Blichmann thermometer to my pump to monitor the temp as I recirc. You definitely want to recirculate while you are raising the temp. If you don't recirc. you will get uneven temps in your mash and scorching.

How did you add the thermometer to the pump. I have an extra blichman therm to do that. Do you have a pic?

And assuming you use that temp as your mash temp and adjust the hlt tank to raise or lower when needed correst?

How did you add the thermometer to the pump. I have an extra blichman therm to do that. Do you have a pic?

Here are some pics. The probe is in the middle of the flow as it is pumped through.

IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg
IMAG0479.jpg

I am planning on replacing all of the bronze with stainless in the future. Let me know if you need more info.

And assuming you use that temp as your mash temp and adjust the hlt tank to raise or lower when needed correst?

I have a thermometer on my pump and on my mash tun. There is always a couple of degrees of difference. The pump is always higher because the wort is coming from the bottom of a direct fired kettle. I use the average for mash temps. I also like having the thermometer on the pump when I recirc through my plate chiller before filling my fermenters.

That is awesome man thanks for the pics you just solved my biggest headache lol. All I need is that t bar. Thanks again.

Back