Step fermenting in a barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowow0708

Reaction score
Hi im a very new brewer and like most new brewers you might be able to think up of ideas that are totally new. And that is what i want to find out.

So if in theory you have a homebrew club and they have bought either a 50 or 60 gal wine/bourbon/rum/whisky barrel. or you bought yourself a barrel that big(unlikely). so i was thinking that what if you can first make a for example 5 gal of 1.030 wort. let it ferment, then you add another 5 gal of wort but its 1.050. then again let it ferment out then add another batch and so on until you reach the barrel's capacity and age. this might be a way to make a Utopias clone without the dozens of barrels to blend.

originally this was an idea in using a wine barrel for making a poltorak(2 parts honey 1 part water) mead. I was inspired by the way that sake was brewed, where the mash was taking place while it was fermenting and letting the yeast be comfortable but also be able to reach above and beyond their abilities.

What does everyone think? What do the experts say? Does this seem possible? Any suggestions and finding holes in my reasoning are welcome. This could be a sticky in the future, but i have my doubts

Back