Step bit or bimetal holesaw (for kettle lid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
I have a 7/8" bimetal hole saw that I used for fridge cutting, to install tap shanks.

Now I want to drill my kettle lid for BIAB recirulation. My kettle came drilled so I don't have the step bit. Since the lid is flat, can I drill a pilot hole and use the arbored hole saw to make the hole? It seems like 7/8" is the hole size for most weldless fittings. The bimetal hole saw went through the fridge's metal casing like butter but I am not sure how it would fare on stainless steel. But I figure since it's a flat surface I might be able to get by without buying a step bit.

Another question is, where is a good spot to put the recirculation hole on the lid? Right in the middle?

So a step bit somehow stands up better than a hole saw? I would think due to the fact that a drill bit has more area to deal with, it would be worse than a hole saw at tackling the problem.

Nevertheless, I'll make sure I get all my fridge drilling done before I do the lid :)

Back