Steeping Specialty Grains For AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching a Beersmith Podcast from a couple years ago #39 with Gordon Strong and he suggested steeping any specialty grain that has no diastatic power.

He compares using darker roasted malt in the mash to coffee in the way that the flavor is better and less harsh & acidic when the coffee is fresh compared to sitting on heat for an hour. He also says, this is a way to cut down on mineral additions to your beer because you are no longer having to fight the acidity of dark roasted grains in your mash.

Has anyone tried this and found it worth the hassle? It is certainly much easier to throw it all in the mash but I'm curious if it would really make that much of a difference in the end.

Any thoughts? Experiences with this method?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0BfUARazw&list=PLmt3Is-jbBLXos-tmhHJ2e_tCMQooh7gj&index=50[/ame]

He starts talking about this about 19 min into the video

I've heard a few different people suggest steeping the specialty grains instead of mashing with the base grains.

I understand the theory behind it, but:
1) I'm lazy. I'm not going to add another step to my brew day when I can just mash all the grains at once
2) I haven't noticed any defects in my beer from mashing specialty grains with the base grains... so why should I change my process again?

That said, I would be really interested in seeing an experiment comparing 2 side-by-side identical batches, with the only difference being specialty grains are mashed in one batch and steeped in the other. Anybody up to the challenge (or have a link to someone else who's already done this)? I wonder how much of a difference it actually makes.

Im not sure about the overall benefit to time to ease of use ratio. Seems like there would be more talk about this if it was huge difference. Although, maybe it isnt discussed as much becasue the reason for doing this is because you are thinking about your water additions alot which is probably a smaller % of brewers.

I've heard a few different people suggest steeping the specialty grains instead of mashing with the base grains.

I understand the theory behind it, but:
1) I'm lazy. I'm not going to add another step to my brew day when I can just mash all the grains at once
2) I haven't noticed any defects in my beer from mashing specialty grains with the base grains... so why should I change my process again?

That said, I would be really interested in seeing an experiment comparing 2 side-by-side identical batches, with the only difference being specialty grains are mashed in one batch and steeped in the other. Anybody up to the challenge (or have a link to someone else who's already done this)? I wonder how much of a difference it actually makes.

This is what I'm curious about too. I also am lazy but if it would make my beer that much better it may be worth the effort.

The idea makes sense i'm just curious as to how much of a difference it would make, and wondered if anyone had done a side by side or even brewed a recipe that they are familiar with this way to test it.

After finding this podcast recently, I tried it on my last stout that had a reasonable amount of Black Roasted Barley and Chocolate. What caught my attention in the video was his comment about the bitterness of old coffee sitting on the 'burner' for hours. I can relate to that.. vs a fresh pot. I pre-treated my mash water as he suggested.. but, I neglected to check my pH at bering points in the process. The dark grains.. and IIRC, the darker Caramel grains really affect the pH. So, I'll definitely do it again.. but, I'll have to take more notes. I've now built up a .doc work page to prompt me all along the way.

Oh, and to complicate things a bit.. this was a full volume BIAB. I know that has an effect.. but not fully sure how much yet.

After finding this podcast recently, I tried it on my last stout that had a reasonable amount of Black Roasted Barley and Chocolate. What caught my attention in the video was his comment about the bitterness of old coffee sitting on the 'burner' for hours. I can relate to that.. vs a fresh pot. I pre-treated my mash water as he suggested.. but, I neglected to check my pH at bering points in the process. The dark grains.. and IIRC, the darker Caramel grains really affect the pH. So, I'll definitely do it again.. but, I'll have to take more notes. I've now built up a .doc work page to prompt me all along the way.

Oh, and to complicate things a bit.. this was a full volume BIAB. I know that has an effect.. but not fully sure how much yet.

The coffee analogy really stuck with me too, that's what made me so curious. So have you tried the stout yet? Did you notice a reduced bitterness or acidity when compared to the previous times you have made it?

Actually, no. My prior stout was McQuakers from Brewing Classic Styles. This time I wanted to get more like Firestone Walker's Velvet Merlin. So, I e-chatted with Matt from FW. He was great getting back to me the first time.. but not so since. :) Anyhow, he suggested upping the oatmeal and black roasted barley quite a bit.

So, to that point.. I have a couple of 6-packs left from the McQ.. I have JUST kegged the VM using cane sugar to carb.. I can probably just forget that and pressure carb w/CO2. However, my FG sample tasted darn good. I'm sure it will improve in the next two weeks.

^ That said.. McQ is very nice now.. but, initially, it had some decent bitterness/astringency. It's gone now and is very good. The VelMer has none of that initial bitterness. I have NO idea where it will go in the next 3-4 weeks.. or more :)

Back