Steeping Oats as Protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtotten

Reaction score
I'm not set up to do multi-step mashes (direct fire mlt), and I want to use oats %15 of brain bill) in a pale beer. I'm planning on doing a protein rest with the oats before or during the beginning of the main mash. I'll throw them in a kettle on the stove at 125 for 20 minutes, then mix that in with the rest of the mash.

It's my understanding that the protein rest is used to break down proteins which would otherwise cause haze. There's no actually conversion going on, so I don't need to include any 2 row in this mini-mash. Is that correct? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

I'm not set up to do multi-step mashes (direct fire MLT), and I want to use oats %15 of brain bill) in a pale beer. I'm planning on doing a protein rest with the oats before or during the beginning of the main mash. I'll throw them in a kettle on the stove at 125 for 20 minutes, then mix that in with the rest of the mash.

It's my understanding that the protein rest is used to break down proteins which would otherwise cause haze. There's no actually conversion going on, so I don't need to include any 2 row in this mini-mash. Is that correct? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Are you using old fashion oatmeal or instant oats/ pre-gelatinized oat flakes?

Old-fashion oatmeal needs to be cooked like you were making oatmeal then you add it to the main mash. instant and brewers oat flakes are already Pre- gelatinized and can be added directly to the mash.

Oat flake/meal have no enzymes to convert themselves so once they go into your mash is when they are introduced to enzymes responsible for converting the starches to sugars.
a short protein rest can be beneficial using oats at 15% but that s on you

If you want to do a protein rest the oats will have to be co-mashed with a base malt. They don't have any enzymes of their own to perform a conversion or protein rest. Basically Oldbrew was saying the samething.

Back