Steeping Golden Naked Oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRaider

Reaction score
I just brewed an extract/specialty grain Imperial IPA recipe that called for a pound of Simpson's Golden Naked Oats along with a half pound of crystal. Based on my understanding that GNO is a form of crystal malt, I simply steeped the GNO in a bag along with the crystal as my water was heating up, removing and draining the bag when the temp hit 170. However, since this is the only time I have ever brewed with GNO, I am now wondering if I needed to mash it (like in a partial mash) rather than steep it? It was hard to tell if the GNO contributed much of anything via the steep, although the water seemed a bit cloudy. Any thoughts would be appreciated -- thanks!

if I am not mistaken and I may be I think steeping oats will still get the proteins and what not out to contribute to the mouthfeel of the beet

if I am not mistaken and I may be I think steeping oats will still get the proteins and what not out to contribute to the mouthfeel of the beet

You're thinking of flaked oats. Golden naked oats are kind of like crystal malt made from oats instead of barley. You should be able to steep GNO.

Back