Steel Belted Coleman Cooler Insulation Swelling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFoodScientist

Reaction score
I have recently come into possession of a 1980 Steel Belted Coleman Cooler that I would like to use for a jockey box at some point.

My concern is that the inside of the lid is cracked and the insulation has started to swell or sag, making it so the lid is difficult to close. (I'll get some pictures here soon, when I get home from work).

I know that lid insulation is not really critical, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem at all? Should I worry about using this?

Also, I discovered that the plastic portion on the bottom is just a covering for more metal, the back corner is cracked and it has started to rust underneath. I don't want to take off all the plastic and destroy the cooler, but I also don't want to have it rust through either.

Any thoughts?

I don't have an answer for you but I'm planning something similar for a jockey box and I think I may have looked at the cooler you got (was it listed on ksl.com?)

A few months back, the NPS store had an entire shipment of steel Coleman coolers. They were brand new in boxes, I think the price was $50 or $52...I'm kicking myself for not buying one.

I suppose it could have been listed on KSL and maybe didn't sell because I found this one at Savers in Layton.

Thanks for the link, I'm browsing it now.

Latest posts

Back