Steam Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
I wonder if I could convert this to a BIAB system.
If I could replace the steam boiler with a rims tube it might work????

IMG_8512.jpg

Yeah that should work for biab...not sure what you are trying to do with a rims tube though...why not use the steam. Steam is dangerous but you have a professional steam kettle which should be safer that a diy solution.

How am I going to make steam?

OOPS maybe I should have said it was just the kettle. The steam is supplied from a boiler.

Oh...most I have seen that size have a built in boiler, did not see the steam line when I looked at the picture on my phone.

A buddy of mine converted one of those to a stew pot.
Plumb the jacket with water lines, routed up high, so that you can have an "expansion" tank considerably higher than the level in the jacket.
He used an old water type fire extinguisher for the "expansion" tank, vented to the atmosphere, with a water level sight glass added.

He sold Brunswick Stew, and cooked 60 gallons at the time.

He placed 2 medium sized propane burners under the bottom, firing directly on the outer skin of the water jacket.

I'm currently working on an electric conversion just like this. I considered steam but from what I've researched, unless you use atmospheric pressure its difficult to control temp. At atmospheric pressure the system is very inefficient. Considering its design, I've opted to modify and install these elements. I plan to use oil in the jacket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331185335904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DC87WCQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the element fits in the 6" ferrule with a little room to spare. I'm using 4 elements on my 60 gallon Groen.

Yes also to an expansion reservoir. The steam connection is a union that can be plumbed to fit a container with little effort

Latest posts

Back