STC problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvillehokie

Reaction score
So I haven't actually used my STC in a while now - worked fine a couple years ago. But now I want to ferment a lager and it keeps freezing my wort.

I've set it at 12.8C, but it'll sit at 7.5C and the cooling is still on. I've powered off and on - which seemingly fixed it, but then the wort is near-frozen again the next day.

I was cooling it to pitching temps three days ago, and it froze. I pitched two days ago thinking it was fixed, and it froze. So last night, I just unplugged the STC and decided that the fermentation temp is going to do whatever it wants, as the beer I'm sure isn't going to be great anyway by this point.

Do STC's just plain crap out? Should I just get another one? Can I fix it?

Location of your probe perhaps?

Or the contacts in the cooling relay have fused. So it's always on.

On a side note, once you pitch yeast into wort, it becomes... tada... BEER!

Location of your probe perhaps?

Or the contacts in the cooling relay have fused. So it's always on.

On a side note, once you pitch yeast into wort, it becomes... tada... BEER!

A: Probe seems to be ok - when I power-cycle the STC, and it realizes the set temp is 12.5C it doesn't give power to the freezer

B: the STC is telling me it's providing power to the freezer (it can't be always on)

C: I have my doubts the yeast has had a chance to do anything other than be an ice crystal. :/

Back