Starting Yeast from last batch brewed a few days ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acroporabrewer

Reaction score
Anybody brewed a batch from a few days ago and drain from the fermenter to use that yeast as a starter for the next batch? I have two speidel 16 gallon fermenters and I just filled one of them up last night with a fresh brewed cream ale using the same yeast that I use in my blonde. I am going out of town for a couple of weeks this weekend and would like to brew another batch so I'll have 20 gallons of brew ready for me when I get back. The only problem is that I am out of yeast. Anybody do this? I was thinking about draining 2 L of fresh yeast to use as a starter for the next 10 gallon batch.

Yup. People do it all the time. I usually save yeast in mason jars from previous brews, and use them as needed...

Thanks for the info! I do save my yeast after each batch. I typically save the yeast after the fermenter has been drained from kegging. I was more less talking about draining 2 L from the bottom of a batch that has been fermenting for only a couple of days. Then use that as a starter for another 10g batch. I just don't know how much yeast I should drain. I typically do 5L starters on 10g batches. I imagine that i would only need a 2L starter bc the batch i brewed last night is basically a huge starter right now.

Latest posts

Back