Starting Two Kinds of Cider, Here Is What I'm doing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
CIDER #1:

I purchased two bushels of apples from a neighboring orchard. One bushel was Grimes Golden (if you are not familiar with this, Google it. GREAT apple flavor). The second bushel was 1/2 Ida Red and 1/2 Cameo. Not real happy with the output. Only got 4 gallons of juice through my press. Was expecting over 5.

Okay, then I put a little less than a quarter tsp of Sulphite in to stun the wild yeast. That will sit all day today. Temp was about 72 and SG was 1.052.

I then plan to add bentonite at the time I pitch my Nottingham yeast. Still trying to get a handle on what SG to cold crash the juice before racking to my secondary.

I may add tanin, I may add other things, not quite sure. I will be testing for pH levels and adjusting (maybe) and may cold crash. All ideas welcome.

CIDER # 2:

I have picked about 6 bushels of Grimes Golden from our orchard. They have not been sprayed so they are covered with spots and very ugly. But, by comparison to the ones I purchased, the flavor is far better.

This cider I plan to squeeze and start without sulphite, with no bentonite and no added chemicals. I'm trying for a JK Scrumpy type finish.

I'd like to get by with no additives at all.

Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome.

I wouldn't add bentonite until after fermentation is over, and only if the cider won't clear naturally. Instead use some pectic enzyme.

Props for pressing your own apples, you will be glad you put in the effort when the cider is all done.

I wouldn't add bentonite until after fermentation is over, and only if the cider won't clear naturally. Instead use some pectic enzyme.

Props for pressing your own apples, you will be glad you put in the effort when the cider is all done.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm going for a perfectly clear cider. A little body would be okay with me. The bentonite is intended to help clump and drop out the expired yeast.

It's the method I use when making wine.

Any more info on why I shouldn't add it now, or why use pectic enzyme instead?

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back