Starting to think I got shorted on CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I have a #5 tank which they filled to 800psi. That put my regulator at just a little into the green zone which seems like they shorted me. What kind of PSI should it be filled to?

Also I'm through 2 kegs now and down to 600psi. Is this about right? I'm just about positive I don't have any leaks. From what I've read here people seem to think 8-10 kegs per #5 tank but I don't think I'm even close to being on track for that.

THANKS!

It's probably just your gauge. They actually add liquid CO2 to the tank. CO2 vapor pressure varies greatly with temperature. At 40F CO2 vp is 600psi, at 80F it's 970.

+1 on Above Post.

My full tank will say 800 PSI at room Temp. But after in fridge for a day, it goes down to about 500 PSI. If I bring it back out to room Temp, it will climb back up to 800.

Also, a CO2 tank will remain at same PSI reading until all the Liquid CO2 has been turned into gas, and then, the Gauge will start to move down. When it starts down, it will not last long.

dp

If your tank is in your frig/keezer, the gauge will be wrong.

I didn't have a double gauge regulator when I got my 20lb tank, so I'm not sure what the pressure was when it was full.

I was just about to post the same thing. I thought it was supposed to be filled to like 1200 or so. Mine is just over 800 PSI. I paid 16 to get it filled, but I kept my own tank, I thought it was a little pricey, but now if they shorted me too, I will be upset. Unless my gauge is just off...

The tank pressure will remain constant until the LIQUID CO2 is depleted and only gas remains in the cylinder. When this happens, the gauge will drop into the "order gas" zone and you can maybe dispense one or two more kegs, but I wouldn't try to force carb anything at that point.

Just weigh your tank and compare it to the TARE weight stamped on the tank.

+1 here.

I have always thrown my tank on my postal scale once I get it home from Airgas. I have a 10# tank with a tare weight of 27#. It's always weighed 39# with regulator attached and a full tank, and it always starts around 800 psi.

the pressure will be low whan you get home because it is still cold. it will be low in the fridge. if it remains constant then its full.

weigh it.

an empty aluminum tank weighs around 8#. the steel ones vary from 10-14#.

weigh it when you leave, then when you get home.
i know in the summer they are probably going to short you about a half a pound in a 5# tank and about a pound in anything larger.

its just not safe and people dont believe you when you say take this home, dont go groocery shopping with it in the car when its 90 dgrees out

Cool thanks everyone! I was starting to think I had issues! The tank is open air in my garage but it's not heated and it is getting dam cold here.... It seems to be getting colder and colder the more beer I drink.... lol

Back