starting the boiling clock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
Edit: since I can't remove the thread, as far as I know, I'm putting my question back to be polite.
I would like to know if restarting the boil clock is necessary late in the boil (15 minutes left for example) after a bunch of fermentables are added and kill it?
I have been letting the wort come back to a boil with positive results. So it's just a small, gray area and not life or death. I do not wish to change my brewing procedure.
The variables, just for instance, are what that does or does not do to the hops, boiling wort to kill stuff, etc.

I am not interested in responses that do not address my question.
Those fine people could always start a new thread.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The alpha acids will still isomerize and the aroma molecules will still be extracted at the lower, non-boiling temperatures, so you may need to adjust your hop additions to target a specific IBU/aroma profile. Since the average brewer does not have the means to accurately determine IBU or the content of aroma compounds, you will have to go by your sensory perception. If it produces an acceptable product that meets your goals for the beer, then you can say that the process was adequate.

What is most important, is to be consistent in your process, and to understand how these changes impact your process. Take detailed notes, and review them periodically as you progress in your process.

Extracts don't need to be boiled, why not just add them into the wirlpool at the end?

This is what I do. If you add some extract at the beginning (1/3 - 1/2) and bring to a boil, you won't have to worry about your boil stopping until you add the remaining extract. If you add that at flameout, you will still get pasteurization basically instantaneously.

Edit: since I can't remove the thread, as far as I know, I'm putting my question back to be polite.
I would like to know if restarting the boil clock is necessary late in the boil (15 minutes left for example) after a bunch of fermentables are added and kill it?
I have been letting the wort come back to a boil with positive results. So it's just a small, gray area and not life or death. I do not wish to change my brewing procedure.
The variables, just for instance, are what that does or does not do to the hops, boiling wort to kill stuff, etc.

I am not interested in responses that do not address my question.
Those fine people could always start a new thread.
Thanks!

No, it is not necessary to restart the clock.

I have been letting the wort come back to a boil with positive results.

Go with what works.

Back