Starting off equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonk007

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was looking to buy equipment to start my first extract brew and eventually move into all grain. I don't want to completely have to re- buy everything once I move into all grain and was wanting some advice on what equipment/ size of equipment would be best suit both types.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, but didn't really plan ahead when I bought my 5 gallon pot. I would suggest going with at least an 8 gallon pot, maybe 10 gallon. I'm looking at this one:
Winware Professional Aluminum

Other than that, I think what you'll need to start extract brewing will carry over to all-grain. Everything else I have (fermenting bucket, carboy, thermometer, etc.) is good for 5 gallons of beer, however it is brewed. I should note that I can boil 3 gallons on my propane stovetop so I don't have a dedicated brewing burner, but if you're buying a burner keep in mind that you may want to brew a full 5 gallons in the future. I'd have to buy a dedicated burner to do a full boil.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy the midwest supplies groupon/living social deal when it comes back up. All that stuff will last with you until you decide you need to ferment 10 gallons in a single vessel.

Once you've got that, you just need a big pot and a heat source. A cheap 10-12 gallon pot and a turkey fryer could last you for a few years as you slide from extract to BIAB to AG to whatever.

Back